XIII

XIII.

Kane had taken the heiress to his luxury Bugatti. She had struggled against him, to which he had toted her across his large, broad shoulder. He'd rather enjoyed her paltry struggle, her kitten-toe heels kicking wildly at the side of his ribs.

Unlike the blonde, he had only been soaked up to his chest, having removed his expensive, tailored suit-jacket prior to his dip in the pool. He had offered her this dry article of clothing, noting how she'd shivered into the leather of the passenger seat.

The trip to the Romanov mansion was brief, Kane having driven in haste through the populated city-streets. Sophia was quiet; as she remained utterly submissive beneath his firm stare. Once they'd arrived at the grand residence, uniformed valet preoccupied themselves in handling the car. Kane had led her towards the entrance quickly. Another cast of staff assembled within the large, checkered courtyard; as an additional vehicle had approached.

The brawny man clutched tighter to the small of Sophia's back, promptly leading her inside before she could manage to argue.

"Viktor: my father." His accent had been thick.

Sophia had been frightened by the curt explanation. She had desired to see this man her father had allegedly wronged, though Kane guarded her closely, his arm now wrapped around her shoulder.

She allowed him to lead her up the white, marble staircase, her delicate heels skittering. Kane had been urgent in his task of delivering her to his bedroom, though her wettened shoes had become a great hassle. She had fallen into him twice, her feet slipping within her soles, before he'd ordered her to sit upon a chair so that he may remove them.

He'd flung the heels into the wall and had continued on, unphased.

They approached a private wing on the third floor of the mansion that bore only two doors. The first had led to a lounge with a billiard table, the room being clad in cherrywood and classic, iron fixtures. The second was the man's private bedroom. The living quarters were that of a spacious apartment, having included a large sitting room, office, bathroom, and suite.

Sophia became hesitant, though Kane grabbed her firmly and deposited her on top of his bed. There was a pleasure in seeing her fair skin amidst his dark, velvet blankets, though he knew there wasn't any spare time to leisure in such thoughts.

"Make yourself comfortable; I have matters to take care of and won't be back until later. You may use my closet to change into something of mine— that is dry."

Sophia blushed beneath his stare; for it had lingered near the wettened fabric that was taut against her bust. "I had noticed your men watching the estate. If you would allow me to call my driver, I will cooperate with them. I promise. Will you not allow me to return home?"

Kane petted her cheek. "You have proven yourself to be a handful. I want you here; where you can't get yourself into any more trouble."

He had stated this to her rather smugly, though he was inwardly irritated at his father's unexpected arrival. The development between the family and its associates had further digressed, leading Viktor's murderous temper to be stirred. Along with handling payments amongst his partners directly, Kane had been directed to procure further information from the Maxims and Moreaus.

It wouldn't be long before Viktor would demand to see the heiress and Kane did not favor her prospective treatment. His father hadn't been satisfied at the news of the Stomsvik family properties being thoroughly monitored. He had wanted to find Aleksander Stomsvik; for the theft of the laundered fortune had not been his prime concern— it was his unerring reputation and pride that his father had wished to restore.