X

X.

Sophia's twenty-second birthday approached rather quickly. The girl had been vexed at her father's unexpected absence, though Henley had assured her that his excursion had simply been extended— contrary to the aforementioned agreement. The party was to proceed, regardless of this matter; for the elderly custodian had been steadfast. He erred not in the arrangements; having completed each task, down to the ornament details and small, selective guest list.

Giovanni had gifted Sophia with a white, couture gown and pair of matching stilettos. She'd paired it with a set of gold jewelry and the expensive chocolate-diamond bracelet. Henley hadn't shown her the present's tags and she was innocently unaware that the jewelry had been a fifty-thousand-dollar gesture from Kane Romanov. Attuned to his apprehension, the custodian chose again not to mention it.

Lacy had been in awe of it instantly, grasping to Sophia's wrist and commenting on its glossed shine. The brunette had been consistently absent, though the occasion of the party had encouraged her presence. She had hoped to meet with more guests of high-standing and had dressed for the event quite formally.

Maeve had noticed Lacy's attire: expensive, illustrious, and designer.

She knew not how she had come to afford it; for Lacy had been the product of an industrious, yet middle-class family. Perhaps she had borrowed it, she pondered. She had noticed that raiding Sophia's closet had come to be a well-worn occurrence.

"How exciting that the gown fits you perfectly," redhead stated; as she had decidedly paused in her musings.

Sophia nodded.

Presently: the girls took shelter within her estate-house suite, Sophia perched upon a cushion whilst Maeve did her makeup. Lacy spent her time dispassionately, having finished the preparations of getting ready quite early. She re-lined her red lipstick, not having cared for the way in which the beautician at the parlor had done it.

"The gown goes perfectly with my new present," Sophia added.

Maeve patted a large, fluffy brush across the blonde's cheeks. "Yes! It really does," she told her. The redhead had gotten her an antique hand-mirror and Miss Dior perfume set. She'd wrapped it lovingly, excited for her to open it.

"When shall we pop open the champagne?" Lacy questioned. She tired of the small-talk and greatly wished to drink.

Maeve paused resignedly from her work; for the brunette had decided to remove the cork, despite the lack of permission.

Sophia dismissed it affably, rising from her cushion and bringing out a trio of champagne flutes. "Cheers to such a wonderful party," she said, "And, of course, to my two beautiful friends."

Lacy sipped at the alcohol heartily. Dmitry had given her and some of the other girls a similar brand of bubbly at the club a few nights prior and she desired to compare the two.

"Cheers to the birthday girl!" Maeve continued, pouring each girl another.

Prompted by the time, they finished in their preparations and made their way downstairs. The grand hall was decorated masterfully, the decorations being that of luxe-quality. Maeve complimented Henley on the attainment; for he had added an air of glamour to the large, traditional estate.

The girls sampled small plates of appetizers: baked brie with toasted pecans and maple drizzle; veal and lamb spiedini; fig and goat-cheese bruschetta; crab cakes; escargot; and cucumber canapes. Another bottle of champagne was opened— this time, an import from France. More appetizers followed: calamari with an herb and butter aioli; foie gras; and a savory, custard quiche.