XII

XII.

With the utmost toil, Sophia had managed to evade her private handler and his ever-watchful eye the following afternoon. She had snuck away from the grand estate and had walked the exclusive Brentwood neighborhoods discretely, under the faux-pretense that she required fresh air— in the event that she was noticed.

The weather was warm and pleasant, so she had chosen to wear a light-blue sundress and a pair of kitten-toe heels. She needn't walk far, having called a public cab and instructing them of her arrival.

As she waited near a neighboring row of iron fence and hedges, she noted the presence of the men who served under the Romanovs. They remained at a distance, circling the cobblestone-paved streets briefly.

Sophia was flustered at their lack of subtlety. It was as though they did not care to conceal themselves; but, rather, intended themselves to be seen.

As her public transport arrived, she paid the driver handsomely and instructed them to drive quickly. The cab arrived at the girls' flat promptly and Sophia waited upon the firm seat, hoping to see her flat-mate's car.

Maeve's white Hummer-Jeep was absent; as she had likely been occupied in serving Giovanni. Lacy's humble Volvo was present, however, and the bit of good fortune was celebrated by Sophia.

She paid the driver once more and they obliged, waiting in the gated parking lot with little question.

In a mere two hours, Lacy exited the flat. She strutted towards her car, new designer purse in hand, and Sophia's heart thudded wildly.

"Please! Follow that girl!" she instructed the driver quite frenziedly.

Having been provided with an ample amount of payment, the driver swiftly obeyed and the cab tailed the car closely.

Sophia did not pay notice to the Romanov's associates as they followed her, also. Concerned with her flat-mate, she fled from her cab. Lacy had parked near a small alley of downtown and had disappeared into the back door of a discreet, yet furbished, brick building.

There was a slight familiarity to the underground hotel, though Sophia did not recognize it as the haven in which she had been delivered to following the violent night near the purling waters of the fountain.

She attempted to enter through the front entrance, though the door was fastened shut. Walking towards the back door, as Lacy had, she found it to open easily. Once inside, she descended into an empty, decorative lounge. No one occupied the reception and Sophia thought it to be strange, considering the time of day. In addition to the lack of active staff, no guests lingered the halls or travelled from their rooms.

Sophia was quite baffled; for surely her flat-mate's excuse as a waitress could not have been true, especially given the state of the establishment.

"Hi there, sweetheart. Are you here for some company?"

Sophia grew startled; as a young woman had approached her wearing a thin set of lace lingerie.

"I can grab us some shots. Or do you prefer champagne?"

The woman before her had bright, lavender hair cut stylishly in a small and tidy bob. She appeared much younger than Sophia and the blonde was shocked at her girlishness.

"Oh, no," Sophia told her, "I am not here for that."

"Aw, are you sure? It would honestly be so fun to play with another girl for once," she pouted.

Sophia laughed nervously. "I am actually here to see my friend. Do you know where I may find her?"

"What's her name?" the escort questioned.