Monday, 26 June, 2000: When and Where?

Cole is standing in front of me. He's talking to me but I can't hear him. I lean closer to him, "What?"

He repeats himself but I still can't hear his words. Why am I deaf?

I watch his lips, hoping I can read the words off them. I can't.

"Try again, Cole." I had to tell him. This time I heard him.

"I love you." he says earnestly.

I wake up on the couch. Why didn't I go to bed?

Right, I was watching a movie with Cole.

Cole...

Shit! Everything that happened last night rushes back to me.

"Jane?" he asks.

"Yeah, Cole?" I reply.

"I love you." he says earnestly.

Oh. My. God! He said he loves me. I must have been dreaming, yeah that's it.

I was dreaming. I was really tired last night and I dreamt the whole thing up.

He doesn't love you.

That hurts more than it should.

I notice that Cole isn't here. Did he go home?

"Jane!" I hear my Mom call me.

"I'm in the lounge, Mom!" I yell back.

She walks into the room. "Your friend left. He told me to tell you that you won't see him at school today. He needs to take care of some things, if that means anything to you." she tells me. Why won't I see him? What things does he need to take care of?

"Oh, and I want you to read this and tell me what you think." I take the three or four pages from her outstretched hand. It's a prologue for her book. The landline rings and she goes to answer it.

She actually might be staying home. Oh my God! This is amazing. I can see her more, I can edit her novel and we can spend more time together. I do a giddy dance in my head.

"Oh, hello, Mr. Waterberg. It's nice to hear from you." I hear my Mom say into the receiver. My heart deflates. Mr. Waterberg is my Mom's boss at the paper. She's leaving again.

"Oh, no, sir. I'm not coming in. I left my resignation with your secretary." There's a pause. "Well. You need to check with her, then, because I did hand in my resignation letter after I got back from Cairo three weeks ago. Good day, sir." and she hangs up.

I stare at her, jaw on the floor. That's how shocked I am right now.

"I told you I was back for good." she says mock-offended. I grin at her and jump off the couch and give her a big hug.

"I'm so happy you're home. I didn't tell you that sooner, but I thought you were going to leave me again. And I didn't want to get my hopes up. I'm so happy you're here. I love you, Mom. Don't leave me ever again." I hold her tightly to my body. She hugs me back just as tightly.

"Don't you have school?" she asks randomly. I laugh. I give her a heartfelt speech and she has to remind my of-

"Shit!" I shout and pull away from my mother. I take the stairs, two at a time.

"Language." she says but hearing her laugh tells me that she doesn't really mind. I really love my mom.

I hurriedly get dressed, throwing something together quickly, not bothering to put any make-up on. Sweats and an Iron Maiden tee.