"Fairytale of New York" #5

The plane bumps from the turbulence and I rub my eyes, the captain just said it would be around half an hour. I look over to the sleeping Isobel- she's heading home and I'm heading to an alien city which is probably half a world away from Nessa and Sam. It definitely is a very long way from dad.

When I first see the lights of New York City, a million thoughts flash through my mind. I bite my lip- I don't know if it was to stop my smiling or to stop my crying. I click on my phone and my eyes are met with the site of the London skyline on my screensaver. I feel a tear slide down my cheek sadness and happiness rushes through me -all I know is that tear was for a new beginning. Isobel's head slides onto my shoulder as the plane wobbles and I lean on her, to look out of the window, the lights spread so far around the city- it was massive.

Soon we were standing in the waiting area bouncing on our toes, we had split up for a while due to me being European and stuff but had found each other while waiting for our luggage. I see Isobel's deep purple suitcase come through an point it out to her, she rushes forwards but misses it due to us being so far back in the crowd. My cello comes through on top of my saxophone and I get there in time fishing them off the way and standing them up next to me. Isobel had run around the other side just as her suitcase went back through the plastic, I laugh and pick it up when it comes back it comes around. Finally after what seems to be forever my two Blue suitcases appear Isobel helps me as i pick them up. Putting my cello on top of my back pack I wheel the suitcases while Isobel picks up my Saxophone. I had to leave some of my instruments behind, but Dave has them now, so I know they are safe. Isobel leads my out into the bright lights and roaring noise of New York and I am lost immediately.

Finally after what seems to be hours of confusion for me and tiredness for Isobel we arrive in front of her flat: floor 6 room 241. It's quite big inside: having a kitchen a living room area and two bedrooms.

Dropping my stuff on the floor I fall on the sofa closing my eyes immediately. I hear Isobel move around and my ears are met with two lots of footsteps. "You can't just bring random strangers back, Izzy" a hushed whisper rings through the silent space.
"I needed to bring her home, Anna, she needed somewhere to live, I do know her, actually." Anna.

I open one eye slowly to see a Girl with curly mousy brown hair and big eyes glaring at Isobel. She turns quickly and makes her way into the second bedroom. Isobel comes and sits beside me, sighing. I watch as she closes her eyes, "Sorry I caused a disruption, I'll go, if she wants"

"I don't want you to leave, Ronni" She looks at me with her brows furrowed and her nose crinkled.

"You might not, but she does."

"Please just stay here for a bit, let me look into your sister, let me do something! Please, Ronni."

I nod and the next thing I know I'm in dreamland - well it was more like nightmare land, Memories of dad- bruised and injured- Flash through my mind as new images of Nessa and Sam form in my sleeping form.

***

When I wake noise in emanating from the kitchen, I open my eyes and see the girl with light hair in front of a microwave with a phone pressed to her ear. A couple of minutes a tired looking Isobel appears from the room and the girl, Anna, turns and smiles at her. "I'm sorry about last night, Izzy, I was tired." She reaches forward to squeeze Isobel's shoulder, "maybe we could rethink a few things, Make it easier and stuff." She sighs and opens the microwave door revealing 3 biscuit like things topped with a hard icing. "Ronni!" Isobel calls "come have some breaky!" I move forward and shuffle into the kitchen. "Hey," the girl says greeting me with a toothy smile "I'm Anna" I must of frozen up, or my face must have changed- something like that anyway because I feel Isobels arm go around me, "how about you just call her Annabel for now" she smiles at me and I nod, Anna's face is confused so Isobel adds: "I'll tell you later if that's okay with Ronni". I smile and nod. Anna holds a plate out towards me and I stare sceptically at it, "don't you like Smores?"

"What?" I mumble looking up at the worried expression of the two girls.

"Smores." Isobel says, as if clarifying.

"Aren't smores tow chocolate digestive biscuits with a sandwiched melted marshmallow?"

"Well I don't know what the hell a 'digestive' is, it sounds gross" Anna wrinkles her nose "but yeah that sounds a bit like a smore, you can blame Isobel though, she didn't tell me you were British."

"Hey, you think I come back from England early and just pick a random stranger off the streets of New York? Weirdo." Isobel crosses her arms in defence and she states her point, "anyway how does it make any difference?"

By this time I had figured out what these weird looking biscuits were: why they were the infamous pop tart. It just so happened I came out with an answer at exactly the same time Anna did and we replied to Isobel with a perfectly in unison: "there are no pop tarts in England" Isobel bursts into a fit of giggles and Anna stutters out "Wow. Brainiac you only just went there."

"Hey!" Isobel protests as she tries to keep a straight face, "I was to busy eating those great bacon sandwiches to notice."

"Butties" I mutter.

"What?" they both turn to me.

"They are called Bacon Butties..." I roll my eyes and take a bite of the warm pop tart, it was so sweet my taste buds could hardly taste the flavour but I ate it anyway, I was so hungry.

"Oh dear I see there is going to be a large language barrier here." Isobel sniggers.

"Not for me you douche bag, I have read enough Dickenson and everything else British to know how to speak in every region in that whole country."

"Nerd" Isobel chokes on her sniggers and laughs quietly.

"It might be a tad out of date" I point out "I mean Dickenson was writing donkeys years ago" They stare at me blankly, and I smile awkwardly - raising my shoulders in defence of their outburst of laughter which came milliseconds after.