"Come Fly with me" #4

"You forgot your piano" Dave says when we are unpacking. I close my eyes and the worn wooden frame, soft cream keys and dark tea stain come back to me. Nessa always used to put her mugs on top, however many times I nagged her not to she still would- not out of spite, more out of forgetfulness and habit, and so the rig got bigger until it was as bold as fire. I remember when the first brown stain appeared, I walked in and there was Nessa scrubbing at my piano. Dad played it often, it was the only instrument he could play. "It's with Dad" I whispered back.

An hour later, when it was just me and Isobel, we were lying on the bed humming to songs on our iPod while watching the news. 'Feeling Good' by Muse had just started and Isobel was in full hum while I was just humming half-heartedly a beat behind. Isobel stops humming and I turn to look at her, wondering what could cease the full-flow humming. She's staring at the screen, jaw hanging low and eyes popping out. "What?" I ask, the news was currently showing a story about some politician or something.
"You're on the news"
"What? I am definitely not David Cameron!"
"No, you're at the bottom, the text that runs along." she points at the screen and I catch the end of some other story before reading aloud in a hushed whisper: "Girl aged 18 accused of theft by Anna Merick, 'she took all my beloved instruments as well as some of my best clothes, she wrecked my house...'" I furrow my eyebrows and continue to read "Ms Merick did not clearly see a face but new the girl had dark hair and was in her late teens, If you see a suspicious Girl matching these descriptions please report to the police immediately." I hang my head, how could she do that to me?
"She didn't give you name or your appearance in, why? She could've got you by now, why didn't she take the simple route?"
"She didn't want to embarrass herself." I sigh, we drop down onto our pillows and lay silently for a while.
"We've got to leave the hotel." Isobel states out of nowhere.
"Why?"
"Because they saw how many instruments and clothes you had to take up the lift. They are probably already calling the police."
"They might not watch the news" i say hopefully "i mean it is two in the morning"
"Have you not seen all the TV's in reception? They show pretty much any channels, not to mention a thing called the phone and the Internet" she looks at me again "and also I doubt more than one girl with dark hair, about 18, with lots of instruments came through the doors tonight, actually I doubt more that about 3 people came through those doors tonight, it's deserted. Oh and by those 3 I mean me Dave and you."
"Yes but if I go check us out now, at two in the morning, don't you think that looks a little suspicious! plus they have your name!"
"Let's go to New York."
"What?"
"Before we can't get out, if your mum gives out your name you won't be able to get out of the country, you won't even be able to get and or a credit card!"
"I don't know..."
"Of course you do, Ronni, use that massive brain and figure it out, if you stay here bad things will happen."
"But...America? They can own guns legally plus they don't know what cheese is!"
"Hey rude! But seriously, please think about it."
"Well i guess it is the home to Dylan O'Brien and fallout boy..."

One hour later and six in the morning Isobel made her way to reception to tell her story about her 'ill grandmother only having weeks to live' and pay her hotel fee. i had collected my things and was using Isobel's phone to but a last minute ticket to New York.

"You know flying from England to New York is one of the most unhealthy journeys you can make due to flying over the North Pole..."
"If this, Ronni, is what you do when your nervous, i am prepared to Disown you."
"No it's definitely not, just an interesting fact, did you know the nervous system is made up of complex cells and Britons which transmit..." I look up to see Isobel rolls her eyes as we step forward showing our passports for the hundredth Time before stepping out into the pouring rain towards the waiting aeroplane, "hey no more rain Ronni!!"
"We get basically all our weather from New York, Idiot."
"Okay Okay okay!" she wobbles the boarding steps as we slowly get wetter and wetter. By the time the water was pouring down my nose and dripping onto my lips we manage to get onto the plane. Because of my late booking I had had to sit at the front quite a way away from Isobel. O wave goodbye to her but she was already chatting to an elder woman next door. This was going to be one long journey. Someone taps me on the shoulder and I turn, twisting my neck to see. It was the older woman from earlier, "I've been talking to your friend, and she says you would be willing to swap? at least you can sit next to each other- it's a long journey." my mouth splits into a giant grin as I stand and let her into the seat "thank you so much, and plus there's extra leg room." I smile again at her and she winks and rummages in her bag to get a book.
"Hey!" Isobel says as I sit down next to her "there was no bribing I promise!" we sit quietly as the airhostesses go through the weird Dancy thing, Isobel continuously snickering in my air.
We proceed to the end of the runway and I look out of the window as the plane speeds up. I take one last look of Heathrow as we take off and glance at the pretty lights of London in the distance, a tear slides down my check as memories of dad flash through my head, I wipe it away quickly and smile to myself.

New York her I come.