Chapter 88

Arianrhod snuggled into James' embrace. They were watching a show on tv, laying naked on the couch when loud knocking , followed by even louder profanities ensued from downstairs. The butler was away, as were the other hired help, to give the two new love-birds some time alone. Arianrhod sat up quickly, shaking with fear and ran to the bedroom to put some clothes on. James took another swig of his drink and slowly raised himself off the couch. Ordinarily he would have been afraid but now that everything was in the open, he knew that there were only two people that it could be and one of them was far too classy to act in this manner. Indifferent to his nakedness, he strolled to the stairs and turned on the hall lights. He could make out the person at the bottom of the stairs through the clear glass door. Luckily it was one-sided and the outside could not see in!

Taking a step down, his suspicions were confirmed.

Paul.

He groaned. What could he possibly want now? Pressing the intercom button, James spoke, "Paul, whatever it is, it can wait till morning. Or would you prefer the police here?"

"You wouldn't want to call the police, would you?"

James shuddered at the cool tone of Paul's voice. Damn it! What did he want? 

"I have paid you. Now get off my property before I call the police!"

"I ask you again, do you really want to call the police? I have far too much information, for you to casually hand me over to them. You have been ignoring my calls, as has your whore. I demand to see you both right now!"

"No guns! I will not tolerate guns in the house! There are panic buttons all over the place and I will not hesitate to press one if you so much as reach for a handkerchief, so help me God!"

Paul stepped back and removed his jacket and showed James through the clear door that he was unarmed. James sighed a slight sigh of relief and relented. Opening the door slowly, he commented, "I am not dressed for visitors."

Paul took in his naked form and grunted. He never liked the man.

Arianrhod was still in the bedroom and was listening, ears strained, trying to hear what was being said. Quickly and quietly, she grabbed his jeans and threw them on the couch where they were entwined only moments earlier. 

Paul walked up the stairs first, James not comfortable having him walk behind, especially as he was naked. He was grateful when he saw his jeans resting on the couch and hastily pulled them on. 

"Well?" asked James, annoyed that he was still in their lives.

"I refuse to kill her. Do your own dirty work but I'm going to tell her it was you who hired me."

Arianrhod boomed out of the bedroom, fully clothed, her hair flying around her as though charged with the electricity of her hatred. She stood inches from Paul's face, spitting the words, "How dare you!?!"

Paul casually wiped his brow and smiled. Calm and in control. This was more like it!

James tried to sus out the situation and re-evaluate. Why had Paul suddenly found a conscience? Was he in love with her?

"You love her?"

Paul stared at him incredulously. He shook his head and said, "No. I pity her. Feel sorry for her but I don't love her. You paid me far too late. I had already decided I was not going ahead with it by then."

"So why take our money if you were determined not to?" Arianrhod was still fuming but James pulled her to him and wrapped his arms about her protectively.

"You owed me for the mess you created by not paying when you should have. Think of it as interest."

"Did you come here to gloat?" James was still trying to determine why Paul had come, in such a fury and demanding to talk to them, when he now sat calmly on the seat and had his feet on the table.

"I came to tell you both and your "friend" to back off."