Chapter 78

Bill was happy to be out fishing again. It had been so long since he had any free time and retirement seemed like the opportune moment to indulge in all his favourite past-times. He had kitted out his tinny and he was ready to go, the motor softly humming as the tin-boat meandered down the river. The sun was shining overhead and the day could not be anymore perfect had he made a personal request to the weather gods! He carefully attached the bait to the hook and cast the rod, the reel whizzing to life temporarily before a soft plop signalled its flawless entry into the still waters. Bill lent back on the seat and pushed down on his hat, out of pure habit. There wasn't even a breeze to disturb the clouds!

As he half laid in the warm sun, the water lapping the sides, rocking him to sleep, he thought he heard something. A car perhaps in the distance? It was driving very quickly and almost entered the water when it came into view. A black van. A man jumped out as though he were chased by the devil himself and opened the side door. He quickly grabbed something heavy from the back and lifted it out.

It was a girl!

The man noticed Bill and hastily returned her to the van but not before Bill heard screams for help. Luckily he was always prepared and pulled out his mobile phone and dialled emergency. He quickly relayed the information of what he had witnessed and started his motor when the man returned. There was a gun shot and Bill looked down at his chest, blood slowly oozing and staining his shirt.

His last thoughts were that Madge, his wife, would not be happy when she saw the stain.