Chapter 55

I sat back and rubbed my eyes. This new way of working was really taking it's toll and I wasn't entirely sure that it was a positive, rather than the negative I feared it to be. Arianrhod had talked me into computers, internet, telephone and mobile. Now as I sit and write on the glaring white screen rather than a crisp sheet of paper with pen, I feel I have done myself a great disservice. Have I sold my soul to the commercial devil?

The computer screen seemed to suck all my great ideas and thoughts, leaving me in a drought. There was a desert forming in my head. The more energy I vested into my work, the less productivity was visible.

What kind of sick and twisted device had I purchased?

What was happening to me?

I backed away from the computer and tripped over my chair, falling in my haste to escape. Suddenly I was overcome with paranoia and fear like I had never felt before. The small camera at the top of my computer was flashing again and I didn't understand why the light was on if it wasn't in use. Mockingly, the screen laughed at my fall. It was pulling me into it's web and I couldn't leave. It's flashing blue eye bored a hole into my skull and I leapt to my feet and ran out of the God-forsaken room.

Standing in the bathroom, I ran the taps and splashed cold water on my face and neck. It felt good and seemed to calm me somewhat. I straightened and stared at my reflection in the mirror. Who was this person staring back at me? Why could I not recognise myself anymore? Covering the mirror with a towel to stop the haughty face peering back at me, I stripped down to nothing and ran to my sun-room.

Maybe all I need is fresh air and sunlight? Some vitamin D to make me happy again.

The small critters crowded around me as I lay on the cool green carpet of grass and stared at the stars. Their presence gave me comfort in this world that suddenly seemed so very suffocating.

A flash of light caught my attention. Was that a camera flash? Was someone taking pictures of me? What was going on? I ran the parameter looking everywhere but I couldn't see anything.

Maybe it was a shooting star?

I need a holiday.