Chapter 70

I peered from behind my curtains, checking to see if anyone was there. The dogs were barking as usual and I had called the man that had sold them to me asking if this was normal. He suggested that the dogs may be barking at stray dogs or cats, if I was sure noone was lurking about. I heard something and the dogs started barking even louder. Fearing that there was some maniac hiding in my bushes, I called the police, who calmly informed me that if there was no immediate threat to my life, they would arrive within a couple of hours as they are busy. Possibly, even tomorrow!

Why do I pay taxes?

I did a complete check of the house once more. Everything was locked and closed. My little fur-balls outside were growing at an alarming rate. How long before they were at full size?

Mawsie and Jade had been courting and I think that we may have babies soon! That was the one excitement in my day. At least someone was getting some loving in this house. Pity it wasn't me. I walked around the kitchen, my bare feet padding softly and opened the refrigerator. It was empty as usual. Sighing, I walked over to the cupboards and looked longingly into them, hoping that by some miracle a chocolate bar had fallen between the cracks. Nothing.

It had been a while since I had emerged from my study. Lately I had been consumed with my novel. This was going to be the one that made me famous!

Suddenly a bright flash caught me off guard and I looked to the garden. That was no shooting star! Someone was definitely there!

I ran back to the phone and redialled the police, telling them what I had seen.

Again, I was informed politely, that as no attempt on my life was being made, I was not a priority and they would be there soon.

Frightened, I ran back to my room and locked the blinds and the door.

I just didn't feel safe anymore.