Chapter 36

Tara sat patiently in the hallway waiting to see the Detective. She had reported her sister Kali missing nine days ago and still nothing. Not even a phone call to calm her fears. She knew something was wrong. Then the tv was awash the past two days with reports that the Morse Code murderer had struck again. It made her nervous and scared. Kali was the only living relative she had.

Detective Harrison was grim when he called her into his office. There was something of a defeated man in his demenour that frightened Tara. Surely they don't think Kali was murdered?

"Miss Jacobs. Detective Harrison. Pleased to meet you. Please sit down. Did you bring the information I had requested?"

Tara sat on the plastic chair and shakily opened her bag to withdraw photos and other personal belongings. Mutely she handed them to the Detective. He took them silently and carefully examined each item. There were some photos, a gold chain and locket, a favourite shirt and a change of clothes. Tara had packed the change of clothes in a flurry of optimism as she searched her rooms. What if they found her cold and dirty somewhere? She would need them.

"Tell me a little about Kali."

Taking in a long breath, Tara said quietly, "Kali and I are the only people we have left in our family. Our parents and brother died in an accident four years ago. There are no other living relatives from either side of the family. She studied history but didn't finish it. Dropped out because it was against her principles. Didn't like the way they insisted that things were facts when they weren't." She paused and stared at her hands. Wringing her fingers, she continued, "Kali is real smart. There is nothing she doesn't know or isn't interested in. She is super nice and caring. Everyone loves her. Her friends are worried and want to help look for her. The last time we all saw her was at Leah's birthday party. It was at a club in the city. We were all dancing and mucking around. Guys were trying to chat us up. Some of us were dancing on the dance floor. At the end of the night we couldn't find her anywhere. She would never leave me alone like that. She is a responsible sister. Always worried about me. She is older by seven years. Kind of like a surrogate mother to me." A sob broke out and she sniffed hard. Tara couldn't cry. She needed to be strong for her sister. The lump in her throat got bigger and she gulped. Detective Harrison passed a glass of water to her and she took it gratefully. Even the water seemed to catch in her throat. She carried on, "I went to the police and filed a report but they laughed and told me she probably went off with a guy. That isn't Kali. I tried to reason but they told me to wait until the following evening before filing the missing persons report officially. Noone would listen to me!" Tara broke down and cried. The tears ran unabashed and unchecked. She couldn't keep it together anymore. Grateful that someone was going to do something about Kali's disappearance, she cired harded until there were no tears left to fall.