20-Abandoned City

Start from the beginning

"Witches have definitely been here. Their scents cover this place."

"Can you follow them?"

"I can try, but there are so many scents, it'll be tricky."

I sniffed around, slowly following a trail of scents. After a bit, it had gotten completely dark. I stopped and sighed.

"This is getting us nowhere. These scents are all over the place."

"Well, now what?"

My ears perked up upon hearing a howl in the distance. I looked in the direction it came from and noticed Kid looking in the same direction.

"Wolves? Here?"

I grinned. "Maybe I can get some information from them."

I tilted my head up and let out a howl. I listened for a moment, hearing a howl in response to mine.

I began running toward the howl as I heard Kid running behind me. Running down streets, we finally came to a small pack of wolves.

I slowly approached them with my ears back and tail tucked in, showing that I wasn't a threat. The leader of the pack sniffed at me.

"A lone wolf? Here?"

"I'm only passing through. I only wanted to ask you if you've seen witches come through here."

He seemed to nod his head in response. "Of course we have. Their scents litter this abandoned old city."

"Do you know where they go? Do they have some kind of meeting place or anything around here?"

The wolf let out a low growl. "I wouldn't know. We tend to keep away from them. Cruel creatures, they are."

"Alright. Thank you for the information."

I bowed my head to him before backing away. The wolf barked to his pack and they all took off down the street.

I went over to Kid as he looked at me questioningly. "Find anything out?"

I sighed. "All I know is that witches do come here often. I don't know if they have a secret meeting place or what."

"Well, let's look around and see what we can find."

I nodded. "Good thing I can see in the dark."

We made our way toward the center of the city. On the way, I occasionally sniffed the ground, seeing if I could pick up any new scents.

I suddenly smelt something vaguely familiar. I stopped in my tracks, thinking where I've smelt this scent before.

I noticed Kid stop and look at me. "Luna?"

I snarled as I remembered this scent. "Maple."

I began running, following the scent until it stopped at a small cemetery. I froze at what I saw.

Hovering over each grave, was a human soul. With my heightened senses, I could see transparent skeletal-like figures floating in place of the souls.

I suddenly heard footsteps behind me and looked back to see Kid panting as he stopped and stood beside me.

"Luna, warn me next time before you take off like that."

"Sorry, Kid."

My gaze went back to the ghostly figures above the graves. It was a horrific sight to see.

"Luna, you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost."

I glanced up at him. "That's right. You can't see what I see. Over each grave, where you simply see a human soul, I also see the ghostly remains of their owners."