Everything Can Change In An Instant

Start from the beginning

Brittney

Everything was hectic once a helicopter and paramedics arrived. They took Dean, Sam and John right away as Sam was fighting them to see if Dean was alright. They took us too because they saw the few scratches we had from flying debris...we were lucky it wasn't anything more serious than just scratches. We all got to the hospital and John was being tended to and while Mel went to go sit in Dean's room once they had him set up, I was pacing outside Sam's room just waiting for the last nurse to walk out. When she did that was when I walked in. He looked over at me and smiled.

"Hey" he said, lightly.

"Hey" I replied, walking over to his bed and sitting down.

"I'm discharging today to just get out of this bed and go see dad and Dean...how are they?" he asked.

"Your dad is good. Nothing serious, he's just asleep right now..."

"And Dean..."

I sighed and gave him a sad look. "He's...in really bad shape Sam...I think it would just be best if you heard it from a doctor instead...but you don't have to worry, he's not alone...Mel's in there with him... "

"Is that supposed to make me feel better? Do you remember the last time she was in the hospital room with Dean?" he chuckled.

I laughed. "Hey, at least she actually made it into the room on her own this time...and she's just sitting there. She wont move..." I said, smiling but then my smile faltered when I thought about her state of mind. I think he could tell my change of mood.

"How are you girls anyway?"

"We're...holding up..."

"It was pretty unexpected, the way you both just showed up out of no where"

"Yeah well...we like having a surprise method"

"I know" he grinned. "But...how did you...or how did Mel..."

"Move the gun over to her? It's...complicated"

He nodded. "Another story for another time"

"Yeah..." my voice trailed off and all I could think about was how gentle his eyes were on me and how warm his smile made me feel....

Melissa

I sat in silence, just staring at Dean's lifeless body with machines being attached to him...I'm not sure how long it was but I just couldn't speak. I guess it must have been a few hours because next thing I knew, Sam came through the door with Brit. I stood up.

"Hey" I said gently, walking over to him, hugging him with one arm. "How you doing?" I pulled away to look at him.

"I'm fine..."

Then a doctor walked in. "Your father's awake. You can go see him if you like"

"Doc, what about my brother?" Sam asked and we were all looking at him intently.

"Well, he sustained serious injury...blood loss, contusions to his liver and kidney. But it's the head trauma I'm worried about. There's early signs of cerebral edema"

"What can we do?" Brit asked.

"Well, we won't know his full condition until he wakes up...if he wakes up"

"If?" Sam asked in a panic.

"No, there wont be an if" I said, sternly.

"I have to be honest. Most people with his degree of injury wouldn't have survived this long. He's fighting very hard. But you need to have realistic expectations, kids"