Not Close Enough

We quickly found Roger's apartment and then we found Roger as well, walking down the sidewalk with a bag of groceries. Mel quickly parked as the guys were trying to talk to Roger while staying in the car but when he didn't stop to listen, they parked quickly as well and we all jumped out, racing toward Roger but he walked inside the building and locked the door.

"Wait! Roger!" I begged.

"Please! We're trying to help!" Sam added.

"I don't want your help" he said through the glass and then walked away.

"We're not with the church, you have to listen to us!" I yelled.

"You're in danger!" Dean yelled as well.

But he wasn't coming back. "Ugh! Come on" Mel grunted and took off down an alley.

We all followed her as she went running on top of a dumpster, jumped off, grabbed a bar and the ladder came sliding down. When, her feet touched the ground, she jumped up and started climbing and we all followed. We were all going as fast as we could, up the fire escape with the countless flights of stairs...and then there was a sickening noise and we all stopped to look up. We were so close.

We continued up one more flight of stairs just to see the window was covered in blood and I even saw Roger's headless body laying on his kitchen floor. We were too late. I kind of felt kind of sick...and I knew Mel did too but she didn't show it as much...she never does.

Dean and Mel pulled out rags from their pockets as Sam and I were still flustered with disbelief. "Here, start wiping down your fingerprints" she said to me with a sincere tone.

"We don't want the cops to know we were here" Dean added.

So, we all started to wipe down our fingerprints on the railings and I took one more look at the blood stained window and I cringed slightly...then I looked at Sam with incredibly sad eyes and he gave me the same look. This wasn't right.

~

We started heading back to the car and the truck and Dean and Mel weren't all too convinced that something was in there...well Dean wasn't...Mel was just a tad skeptical. Sam and I saw something stalking Roger in the vision...we just weren't sure what it was. It was definitely connected to the family...but what was? A vengeful spirit? Some kind of curse? Max could be in danger...we knew that much...and then Sam stated that our families were cursed...that's what everything had in common...Mel and Dean disagreed...sorta...but we didn't argue about it. The next morning, we put on our church get ups again and paid another visit to the Millers. It was Max that invited us in this time.

"My mom's resting. She's pretty wrecked"

"Of course" Dean nodded.

"All these people kept coming with, like, casseroles. I finally had to tell them all to go away. You know, 'cause nothing says 'I'm sorry' like a tuna casserole" Max joked lightly and we all smile at him, politely.

Then, we all sat down. "How are you holding up?" I asked gently.

"I'm okay"

"Your dad and your uncle were close?"

"Yeah, I guess. I mean, they were brothers. They used to hang out all the time when I was little"

"But not as much, lately?" Mel wondered.

"No, it's not that. It's just...we used to be neighbors when I was kid. And we lived across town in this house, and Uncle Roger lived next door, so he was over all the time"

"Right. So, how was it in that house when you were a kid?" Sam asked.

"It was fine. Why?"

"All good memories? Do you remember anything unusual? Something involving your father and your uncle, maybe?" Dean pushed.