Chapter Twelve

Mathew's point of view

It's two weeks after Connor's death, and I'm currently walking down the underground corridors of the agency's main base in Austin Texas with Troye. Though he's still recovering from being shot in the shoulder, he's decided to come back. He didn't want Connor to die for nothing. He saved us all. He died a hero.

As I near Marcus' office door I take a deep breath, the pain in my chest is almost unbearable. I feel like I got shot in the heart and the wound is still bleeding- slowly killing me. I don't want a new ally, I just want Connor back. But until Troye is fully healed, he's not allowed back in the field. So they're assigning me a new parter for the time being.

"You can do it, Matt." Troye mumbled beside my ear, encouraging me to knock. I swallow harshly, balling my hand up into a fist. I bang on the cold, metal door three times.

"Come in, Oakley. Sivan." Marcus answered me. I push the door open, holding it for Troye. We sit down in front of his desk, waiting for him to speak.

"Here," he slid Troye's old badge and gun across the desk. Troye pocketed both of them, staying silent.

"Are you just not going to talk about the fucking elephant in the room?" I glower at my boss as I fight off fresh tears.

"I suppose I have to," he muttered, scratching his stubbly chin. "I'm sorry for your loss, Mathew. Connor meant a lot to all of us. His funeral will be next week. But for now I must assign you a new parter."

"Well, who is he?" I grumble, cracking bones in my hands and fingers as I impatiently wait for him to respond.

"They're not so much a he as they are a she.." Marcus picked up a thin folder sliding it across the desk.

"A girl?" I raise an eyebrow at him, picking up the folder.

Zoe Elizabeth Sugg, age 26, height 5'2" there's a picture of her face then one of the side of her head, plus a few of her strengths, weaknesses and characteristics.

"Yes, a girl. Got a problem with that?" I hand the folder back to Marcus. A small smirk creeps up on me.

"Nope, not at all. But who is she? Her name sounds vaguely familiar."

"She's Joseph Suggs older sister. She was recruited in England when she was twenty, but has only been on missions in that area. She has yet to come to our main base here in Austin until now."

"When do I get to meet her?" I glance at Troye out of the corner of my eye to gauge his reaction.

Poor kid will be hacking into security cameras and getting past high-tech firewalls until his shoulder recovers completely. Did I also mention that he'll be helping me with my missions through an ear piece for the next few months? Well, he will be. He seems neutral, like he doesn't really mind much. I guess it's because my partner will be a girl and he trusts me.

"Next week, after Connor's funeral service. Did I forget to mention that we're also recruiting a new scientist/doctor?Alfred Dayes, will be working for us starting next week."

"I look forward to meeting them." I manage a small smile as I stand up to shake his hand.

"Welcome back, Troye." Marcus smiled sadly, shaking Troye's right hand.

"It's good to be back, Sir."

And with that, Troye and I left the building, going back to my assigned apartment not too far from the main base. I'm not sure what he's going to do about his singing career.. I guess he'll figure things out, possibly change his identity again.

Knowing Troye, he'll do what's best for our safety, and jobs.

~

A/N

I hope you guys enjoyed this v short chappie.. Next is Connor's funeral. Prepare for tears (if I work hard on it) anyway, I'll update soon babes. x

(Can I just say thank you so fucking much for 1k reads!! I posted the first chapter five days ago... Y'all are too much in the best way possible. :) love you babes and I'll see ya later.)

Bye|Rachel.

Twitter|@Troylerflamingo