Chapter Twenty-Six - Complicated

"Dianne!" I heard someone called in the middle of the crowd.

"Hey! Wait up!" Once his voice became clearer, I saw him came out from the crowd.

"What's up, Tay?" I greeted him.

"Something's up. The other day I checked your identity card. Yes, there is something wrong with it. I called up the staff that registered your ID card before, but he never showed up. Most of the staff claimed that they never seen him for few weeks. And he didn't ask for any day off. We filed his missing to the police in town. And surprisingly..." He trailed off as he smirked.

"What?" I asked.

"The police look through his profile. He is working for the mafia, besides then working with me. I can't believe it. It does make sense though, he is a newbie. But it doesn't make sense why he worked in my place just to create your fake ID." Taylor continued.

I'd fake a laugh. "Mafia? Are you joking?"

The family reunion was held in Ryan's house. All of his big families are coming. Most of them I didn't recognized. Good thing that Ryan's house is enormous.

"No, Dianne. I'm not joking. Having a criminal doing job for me really making me frustrated. Plus, he was doing an illegal thing. That could ruin my business. So, I looked for some reason why he could've done that." He said.

I clenched on my glass even tighter (only juice - can't take any alcohol since my 'illness'). "What are you trying to say Tay?"

"What is Bruce John's daughter doing here?" He asked in a low voice.

I gulped.

"Want to tell me here, or the front yard?" He asked again.

I can't find where Ryan is at that time. Maybe he is having a great time with his cousins. And where is Carlos by the way? I doubt that he is enjoying the meal all by himself.

"Let's talk outside." I said.

The night breeze hit against my exposed skin. I wear simple knee-length dress that night. I don't want to become everyone attention.

"First of all, I wanted to apologize for not telling you..." I started.

Then I continued with my story. From the day I ran to this town. He frowned sometimes, but didn't say anything. He waited patiently until my story comes to the end.

"Why are you keeping all of these? You were only working for them in the past because he is your father. You stopped then continue on a normal life. If you tell any of us, we can accepted it even we're just barely know each other." He argued.

"I don't know how to tell you or Ryan about this, Tay. At first I just planned on living for a few days in his house. Then he offered me a job. Then I'm thinking about renting a new place in this town for myself. I thought we're not gonna be as close as this." I said.

Taylor sighed as he pinched the spot between his eyebrows. "I know you got Carlos to protect you. What if they're too many for Carlos to handle them? You can leave that life, Dianne. But lying to us and not telling us the truth isn't going to let that happen. We can help you..."

"No, Tay. You can't. I won't let you to help me. It's too dangerous." I cut him off.

He huffed. "Tell Ryan about this." He said.

"I... I can't... Maybe not now... I... I don't know, Tay. I should tell him earlier before things happen and the situation got more complicated..." I said as I'm preventing the tears to escape.