"And I taught you how to smile again." I smile at him.

He smiles at the ground,"Yeah..."

I kiss his cheek,"Okay, so trust exercise aside, how you holding up?"

He smiles,"I'm definitely covering the pain right now."

"Well, everyone does that.  Just like when you were little.  Everyone could see you were hiding something but no one knew.  You never opened up about it and you never answered any questions.   I think I'm the only one who ever let you have your space about it." I say leading him to the couch, so that we can sit down.

"You're also the only one I ever told." He smiles at the ground.  Again he hides his pain behind a smile...

I smile at him,"That doesn't matter.  You didn't need to tell me anything."

He smiles and looks out the window,"Changing the subject," he swallows,"The funeral is on the 30th."

"A joined funeral?" I ask.

"Yeah... surprisingly Steph and Matt have legal documents about whether or not they die at the same time to save the grief of their shared friends, they would have a shared funeral."

"That's a little... strange..." I say trying not to hurt his feelings.

"It's fine, it's something I expected Steph to do." He says smiling weakly... change the subject... but to what...

"So the 30th... do you want me to come with you?" I say patting his back uncomfortably.

"No... you didn't know them that well, I'll have the support of everyone else... I feel like something bad will happen that day anyway." He turns to me and grabs my hand, I raise an eyebrow towards him,"Becca, please don't do anything that day.  Stay at your hotel and just read okay..."

I look at him confused... he's never this worried about me...

"Why?" I ask.

"I don't want you to get hurt.  I just... I have a bad feeling." He says looking down.

"Okay?" I say looking at him strangely,"Is this the big secret you're to scared to tell me?"

He looks at me mortified,"What do you think it is?" he asks quietly.

"You're a fortune teller and you saw me get hit by a car." I say kissing his cheek trying to make him feel better, he's so jumpy today.

He lets out a deep breath,"I thought you actually knew."

"Why are you so afraid to tell me?" I ask him, gently touching his arm.

"Because you'd think I was a monster." he smiles playfully.  I roll my eyes, it's probably something embarrassing.  "Well, how about another secret then?" he says.

I smile,"You first this time." 

He smiles,"Okay, um... I really hate your friends." he nods.

"Really?  Why?" I ask, they tried to be so nice though...

"Just get a bad vibe from them." He says,"I don't trust them."

"Okay... my turn." I think... what can I say that he doesn't know and that he shouldn't know,"I've recently started working out with Brian." 

"You work out?" he asks, his eyebrows raise as he pokes my flabby arms.

"I just started, okay..." I pretend to be hurt by what he says.

He kisses my cheek,"You're perfect already, why would you work out?"

"You never know when you'll be attacked by a deranged lunatic..." I start but I see his eyes gloss over... right...

"Plus I want to beat you at arm wrestling one day." I say sticking my nose in the air to try and get him to laugh.

He slightly smiles... poor dude...  he must be in so much pain...

I see tears well up in his eyes,"Wait, don't cry... um... did you know a full sized bear runs as fast as a horse... that's fucking fast right?" I smile at him trying to make him stop crying.

"You're turn..." He says quietly, holding back the tears.

"Um..." he caught me off guard with this one... what do I say?

"Um...  well... I think I'm an alcoholic." I say as serious as I can.

"Is that why you always beat me at shots?" he asks, wiping tears off his face, I nod... now I'll probably beat everyone with my demon blood.

"You're turn." I look up at him.

"Matt and Steph were my closest friends, they were the first to know about my crush on you, they were the first to know that I hated living with my adopted parents, they were the first to know that I wanted change in my life.  And... they were some of my only friends too... after you left, I stopped trusting people... I stopped making new friends... I stopped caring.  I just wanted you to come back..."

He stops, tears following the streaks down his face... what am I supposed to say to that...

"It's not even like we were never away from each other, when I got adopted I could still see you when I wanted to.  When you moved away it felt like a hole was taken out of my heart, Steph and Matt filled that hole... and now they're gone... and soon you're going to leave to go back to school, and I'll be alone again...  I don't like being alone Becca..."

I stare at him, I never thought he was alone... I never thought he was in pain because of me...  I remember telling him that I got into the school 4 hours away and he smiled for me... he must have just broken there... I probably shattered him into pieces...  I broke Lucas...  I'm a terrible friend...  I should have tried to save them sooner... I should have saved his friends...  I was too busy worrying about not getting caught as the Subject that I never paid attention to his friends...

"Becca... I don't want to be alone..." he whispers.  I grab his arm and wrap myself with it.

"I won't let you be alone... not any more..."

We sit in silence for a 20 minutes, neither of us know what to say...  

I want to tell him that I can come here whenever he needs me... but I'm not sure if I can...  

I want to tell him that I will protect him... but... what if I can't...

I want to tell him that  I won't hurt him... but people fall apart...

I want to tell him everything... but he'd think I'd gone insane and would be scared of what I can do...

"You should probably get back to you're hotel before it gets too dark..." he whispers.

I look up at him, I don't want to leave but he's right, I can't stay here all night.

He gives me his you-know-I'm-right look and I sigh.  I get up off of the couch and start walking towards the door.

"Stay safe..." he says as I grab the doorknob.

"You too." I smile back at him as I open the door.