Chapter 1 •The Pairing•

"Rena! You're going to be late for school!" My mom yells from downstairs.
"Okay!" I yell back with a groggy voice. I pull myself out of bed and make my way to the bathroom. Today is one of the days I dreaded the most. Today was the day our school assigned us football buddies. I bet you're thinking it isn't that bad. But for me it is. I'm not what you call popular. Hell I don't even think anyone knows I'm there. Besides Rachel. Rachel has been my best friend since I can remember.

I quickly get ready and rush out the door. "Bye mom!" I yell as I run out of the house.
"Bye! Have a good day!" My mom yells back. I just sigh, knowing it wasn't going to be a good day. In the past years I've either gotten, creepy guys, weirdos, and plain douche bags. So this year I'll most likely get one of them again. Yay! Oh can't you just tell I'm thrilled.

As I pull into the high school parking lot everyone is surrounded by a black car. But it's not just a black car, it's Luke Hemmings black car. Luke Hemmings is one of the most popular and one of the hottest guys in our school. Aside from his best friends, Michael Clifford, Calum Hood, and Ashton Irwin. And of course, when it comes to a hot guy, come a snobby bitch. And her name is Rebecca Lester. The biggest bitch you could lay your eyes on. And if it gets really hot outside, I swear she would melt. But everyone in the school either wants to be with her or be her. Besides me and Rachel. We want nothing to do with her, but it's really hard considering she's in all of my classes.

"Hey Rena!" Rachel chirped. She was always a morning person. The complete opposite of me.
"Hi." I say trying to sound as happy as her.
"You ready for the pairing today?" She asks.
"Nope not at all." I say sighing.
"I bet you'll get someone good this year. I can feel it." She says nudging me, and laughing a little. I just smile and sigh again. Rachel always got someone good, or well decent. Rachel has always been the exact opposite as me. She had brown hair until she died it pink. Which she can pull off really well. She has beautiful hazel eyes, she's also tall. I have blonde, blue eyes, and I'm short. I've been very jealous of all of her features since we were little.

"Rena Champion." The principal calls from the podium. All of the girls are in the bleachers, while the guys are waiting on the football field. This is how the pairing went every year. I take a deep breathe and push myself off the bleacher and meet with the principal at the podium. "You have football number 96." She says and everyone gasps, including Rachel. Confused I turn around to see who number 96 is. You've got to be shitting me! Luke Hemmings? Once you get your buddy it's mandatory for you to stand next to them. So I make my way towards him and stand next to him.
"Rachel Chanler." The principal says and I see her stiffen up. She walks down the same path I did and meets with the principal. "You get football number 95." Rachel's eyes widen when she meets with Michael Clifford. Awe how cute! They have matching hair.
"Just because you're my football buddy doesn't mean I want to be your friend." Luke says rather rudely.
"I wasn't planning on making friends with you, hell I don't even want to be talking to you right now." I say just as rude as he was.
"Easy there kitten." Michael says chuckling, making Rachel giggle. Rachel has had the biggest crush on Michael. Since like middle school or something. I just glair at him and turn back to the front.

"Rebecca Lester." The principal calls and Luke stiffens up. He must not like that fact that his slut girlfriend is going to have to be with another guy. Because everyone knows how it will turn out. She struts up to the podium and stops in front of Mrs. Hester our principal. "You get Football number 10." She says and Luke huffs. David Samuels is number 10, and Rebecca's ex boyfriend. I almost feel bad for Luke, but then again I don't.

As the hours past everyone was standing next to a player, whether you liked it or not.
"These are you buddies. I expect you to be with your buddy on all game days. You are a team that supports each other. And I know that a lot of you dont like each other, but that's why we do this. So you can grow and learn to deal with each other. Because that's what you have to do later on in life. So I do not want to hear any complaints about who you are partners with. Do I make myself clear?" Mrs. Hester says.
"Yes." All of the students say in unison.
"Alright. Now all of the girls have to make shirts that have the boys number and name on the back of it. I don't care what the shirt looks like as long as it has those two things. Alright now all of you get to class." She states and everyone makes their way to their class.

"So Luke huh?" Rachel says wiggling her eyebrows.
"Oh shut up. Besides me and Luke have hated each other since like, 8th grade." I state back.
"Why exactly?" She asks as we head to our lockers.
"Uh I can't remember. I think it was because I got a better grade then him in math. I don't know it's such a blur." I say shrugging as I grab my books.
"Well that's a childish reason to hate someone." Rachel says shaking her head.
"Well he is a baby." I say laughing a little.
"A hot baby." She says and I smack her hand.
"Rach! That's so awkward to say! Besides you like Michael." I say wiggling my eyebrows at her.
"Rena! Don't say that so loud!" She says walking faster and leaving me alone. I just laugh and start heading towards my science class. I feel someone tug on my arm and pull me to the side.
"Don't try anything with Luke. He's mine." Rebecca spits.
"Oh don't worry Rebecca. We've hated each other for about 3 years now. Now if you excuse me, I don't want to catch an STD by talking to you for too long."

The girls in the picture are Rachel and Rena. Rachel's the one on the left and Rena's on the right :))