Ch. 47 - Swim Meet

Annabeth's POV:

We were getting ready to leave for Zoe and Charlie's swim meet. They both swam, but Charlie held back his powers.

"Zoe, Charlie, come on we are gonna be late!" Percy yells upstairs. They both come barreling down the stairs.

"I'm so nervous. This is our school's rival and it's my first year here and what if I accidentally let the other team win...or-or what if I bang my head on the side of the pool..or-"

"Zoe, relax you'll do fine. You're a legacy of Poseidon," Charlie said trying to calm her down.

"Zoe's gonna kick butt." Lena says.

"Where did you learn that missy?" I ask her.

"Dad says it when he's watching football." I look at Percy who is suddenly very interested in the license plate of the car in front of us.

____________________________________________________________________________________

"First heat boys 200 m freestyle. In lane one from Manhattan Middle, Charlie Jackson. In lane two from NY Middle Matthew Hanover..." I watched nervously as Charlie got ready.

"He'll be fine." Katie said to me. I nodded. Katie and Rj had come to cheer on Charlie and Zoe since RJ went to their school and would be their anyway. RJ was standing with Zoe at the end of the lane where Charlie would finish.

The horn sounded and they all dove in. Charlie started behind Matthew letting him get ahead. It continued like that for the first four laps. On the last four Matthew started to drop back slowly and Charlie pulled ahead.

Now let me tell you, I had been to many middle school swim meets and I had never seen this many people. Although Zoe did mention these were there rivals.

"In first place Charlie Jackson!" We all cheered as Charlie received his blue ribbon and medal. Zoe and RJ congratulated Charlie.

"Did he win?" A voice said. I turned to see the Graces. I screamed and jumped up to hug Piper. We turned and watched as Meredith ran and tapped Charlie's shoulder. He turned and his face went from shock to pure joy. He hugged her so tight she looked like she was going to pass out.

___________________________________________________________________________________

It had finally come time for Zoe to race. apparently the girl she was up against was one of the strongest swimmers in the state.

I watched as she got ready to dive in. I felt as if I could see her shaking. Stupid maternal instincts...

I heard the horn and I watched as she dove in. I realized I was nervous for nothing as soon as she hit the water. It was like watching a mermaid swim. The girl from NY Middle was keeping pace with her though. It wasn't until the last lap when Zoe finally broke from her and pulled ahead. I smiled as she finished first and was pulled out of the water by her friends.

She had the biggest smile.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were waiting for them to finish up the final results for who won the meet.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom since this isn't happening any time soon." Charlie said walking to the restrooms.

"Back off" I heard from across the pool. I turn to see that kid Matthew shoving RJ. I saw Zoe trying to make RJ leave. What was happening?

Zoe's POV:

RJ and I were just walking towards our families and Charlie when that jerk Matthew stopped us.

"Hey cutie. Why are you going to a stupid school like this?" He said to me.

"Can you leave me alone now?" I say gritting me teeth.

"Hey I'm just making conversation." He said.

"She said leave her alone." RJ says pushing Matthew. Matthew shoved him back it kept going until it ended with Matthew pushing RJ into the diving board.

All you could hear was a bang as RJ fell into the pool unconscious. The pool went silent. I'm pretty sure I was the first one to react. I could here Katie screaming as I dove into the pool.

I saw RJ resting at the bottom of the pool. When I finally reached him I grabbed his arm and started to swim up. I don't think I realized until that moment...that RJ was soooooo heavy. I didn't really think this through.

I finally broke the surface and got out of the water as Meredith and Charlie pulled RJ out. A bunch of adults surrounded us as we crowded around RJ. Our parents moved to us pushing the crowd out of the way. I heard someone yell for the ambulance and a bunch of lifeguards were blowing whistles.

"Can you help him?" Katie asked.

"Yes, but I need Piper to charmspeak everyone into thinking that it's competely norma for a bunch of kids to be handing this. " I say.

'I'm on it." Piper said.

"Good, that will make them not help us but, this still needs to look like this is normal. I'll have to pretend to give him CPR." I say putting my hand on his chest to feel how much water he inhaled.

"No way, you are not kissing my best friend." Charlie complained.

"FIrst of all, are you seriously going to do this now we don't have time. Second, I'm not kissing him I'm giving him fake CPR. Third, it's your sister, your girlfriend, or you so take your pick." I say.

"Fine just do it." He says grumbling.

I my hand on his chest and lower my face so i'm just above his lips. Finally, I press my lips to his while I will the water out of his chest. I sit back up and watch as he slowly coughs and wakes up.

"RJ?" I ask hopefully.

"Zoe? Thanks." He croaks smiling slightly.

"Yeah, sure," I blush.

"You saved my life,"

"Aw well it was nothing," I answered flicking my hand.

"No really, thanks." He smiled bigger now.

"I was just returning the favor."

I leaned in a little closer. Our faces only inches apart. We both went to fill the gap when

"Ok that's it! Shows over people!" Charlie grabbed me and dragged me away from RJ.

I waved goodbye to RJ still wondering whether I was imagining that spark between us.

Hey guys I hoped you liked the chapter and just so you know there are more chapters coming, Thanks for all the support!! Ilyy