Chapter 7

Jordyn's POV

"Caitlin." I yell out. "Supper is done. Since you're never here when I actually cook I would love for you to join us!"

I hear footsteps and soon my beautiful daughter appears. "Really mom? Do you do this when Logan is actually home for dinner?"

I can't help but chuckle. "Please. We both know I don't have to yell at him. He is in here waiting."

"That is true." Caitlin agrees and goes over to take a seat. "Where is Mama P at?"

"She is going to be late tonight. She is out with Alexis."

Caitlin raises her eyebrow. "Why does this seem like it's a set up or an ambush? What did I do?"

"You catch on so fast." I play along with her paranoia. "We know what you did and we can't believe you didn't tell us."

My daughter's face goes pale. "Who told you? It was Aunt Callie wasn't it? I thought I could trust her." She starts shaking which doesn't happen often.

"Sweetie I was joking." She stops and looks at me. Guilty is what her face is reading. "Is there something I should know? You know you can come to me about anything right?"

"No." Catlin says firmly. "I can't and don't want to talk about it."

So there is something to talk about, but the question is what? I know when not to push Caitlin into talking and this is one of those moments. A change of subject is what is needed right about now.

"You looked like you picked up on the goalie pretty fast." I compliment her. "A parent at the scrimmage was saying how remarkable you are. What made you decide to change positions?"

I watch as Caitlin plays around with her food, not really eating it. "At camp."

"Did they randomly have you try it?"

"Nope." She simply says. "A camper I was friends with helped me."

Interesting. "How did that come about?"

"We had a bet about something." Caitlin continues to play with her food. "Long story short, I blocked her and she saw something. The next day I asked to work with the goalies and now here I am."

I'm not questioning if Caitlin is telling the truth, but I have a strong feeling that there is more to it. "What was the girl's name? Does she play around here?"

Caitlin tenses up. Her hand is clutching her fork so hard that her knuckles are white. "Why are you asking me so many questions? Should I do the same to you?"

"I would gladly answer any questions you have." I try to keep this conversation civil.

Caitlin looks me straight in the eyes. 'Which player's parents were you talking to about me?'

I smile as I answer. "The new girl. Peyton's father."

Caitlin's eyes go wide as she drops her fork. "I have homework I need to do."

"You barely ate."

"Not hungry." She took off up the stairs.

What in the world was that all about? Ever since Caitlin got back from camp she has been off.

I ponder about all the possibilities that it could be. I start cleaning the kitchen as I think. Everything leads back to camp. What happened at that camp? I almost drop a plate when it clicks. Callie.

Whatever is going on with Caitlin, Callie knows. She almost broke down when she thought Callie told me.

Jordyn: I'm about to do the one thing I told you I never would do.