Chapter 10

Anne slowly lifts the cup to her lips, sipping her tea. She had put 6 sugar cubes into it, and it tasted very sweet, which she liked. She had gotten into the habbit of this, seeing Ryuzaki do it. He always put an excessive amount of sugar cubes into anything that he drank, which was mostly tea. 

The whole task force was sitting somewhere in Ryuzaki's hotel room. They were now discussing Kira, again, when suddenly, Watari walks into the room. 

"Ryuzaki." He adresses him, urgency in his voice. 

"What is it?" Ryuzaki replies. 

"Sakura TV." Watari says, grabbing the remote, and pressing the power button. "Something big happened." 

Everyone is silent, as they all stare at the man talking on the TV screen. 

"In other words, we are practically reporting this news as the hostages of Kira himself." The man says. "This is not a prank. The videos are not a hoax." 

"Kira's hostages?" Aizawa questions. 

"What the heck is this?" Matsuda exclaims. 

"There is no doubt that the four cassettes mailed to the director of the show four days ago are real." The man on TV continues. "In the first tape, the voice predicted the death of two arrested criminals. Later, as predicted in the tape, they died of heart failure at 7:00 last night. Only Kira is capable of doing something like that. Thus, we are certain that these are truly sent from Kira." 

Anne takes a glance at Ryuzaki. His face is emotionless. He is calm, despite the situation. But then, he never really reacts to anything much. 

"He instructed us to broadcast the second tape today at 5:59 p.m. We have not watched it ourselves, but the tape should validate the other tapes, as well as Kira's message to the world." 

Everyone is staring at the TV in shock, except for Ryuzaki, and Anne. She is a bit suprised that Kira would pull something like this, it doesn't seem quite like him. She sips more of her tea, as they wait for the second tape to be aired. 

"It is now 5:59. The broadcast will now begin." The man on TV announces. 

Suddenly, the screen switches to a white backround, with the letters K I R A printed across the screen. 

"I am Kira." Says a computerized voice from the TV. "If this tape was aired exactly at 5:59 p.m. on April 18th, it should be 5:59:38 right now. 39 seconds... 40. Please change the channel to Taiyou TV." 

Matsuda picks up the remote to change the channel. 

"Wait." Ryuzaki says, lifting up his hand to silence everyone. 

"The news anchor will die of heart failure at exactly 6:00." Kira says. 

They change the channel to Taiyou TV. The first thing they see is the news anchor clutching his chest in agony, then colapsing. 

"Now change it back." Ryuzaki demands. His face is no longer emotionless, it is plastered with urgency. 

Matsuda does as he says, and changes it back. 

"Watari, please bring 2 more TVs in here." Ryuzaki says. 

"Yes sir." Watari says, walking out of the room. 

"That was the punishment for always speaking against me on telivision." Kira says again. "But, surely one person is not enough to prove my identity, so I will take another sacrifice. The target is another commentator on the same network who always opposes my actions." 

"Channel 24." Ryuzaki says. 

They change it again, and sure enough, the news anchor is dead as well.