Chapter 3

7 years later -

Anne wakes up in her hotel with bright line shining in her face. She lifts her head up, to find the source of the light is simply the sun shining through the window. She sits up slowly and arches her back in a long stretch.

I wonder how he's doing... She thinks. It's been 7 years since that night at prom, and she hasn't seen Lawliet since. She has thought about him every day, and whether she likes it or not, her mind always wanders to that night. She can't help but wonder if he was really telling the truth when he said he didn't kiss her arch enemy, Alexis, and she had just ran off without giving it another thought.

But now is not the time to start thinking about that again, she has to get ready for work. She's supposed to be there at 7:00 sharp, and she can't afford to be late, or she might miss something important.

A few months after school ended, Anne had gone to college to become an investigator. She had worked on many cases in the past, but now, she was in Japan, working on the Kira case. There were lots of police officers and investigators on the job, as well as the world's greatest detective, L. Nobody knew his real name, nor where he was. He communicated with the task force through a computer. You couldn't hear his real voice either. He must be speaking through some kind of microphone to make his voice sound different. Either way, he has been a great help on the case. So far, they had discovered that Kira lived in Japan, and that he/she was most likely a college student. They had no leads so far though.

After Anne was finished prepping herself, she got into her car and drove off to the police station. She drove in at 7:00 on the dot. Once inside, she was greeted by a large amount of policemen.

Matsuda, the new guy you could say, turned around in his chair to face her.

"Hurry! The chief has an important announcement!"

Anne sits down in her desk and turns her head to Chief Yagami, who is standing at the front of the room. Next to him, is a small desk. Sitting on it, is a laptop. The screen is blank except for the letter L printed on it. L behind that screen, watching them now.

"As you all know, Kira can kill using only a name. I know that all of us may be killed on this case if you stay. So, if any of you wish to quit this task force, you are free to leave. But, anyone who stays, must keep in mind that by staying and investigating the Kira case further, you are putting your life on the line. You must be willing to risk your life if you wish to continue investigating this case." Chief Yagami explains.

This was a big announcement indeed. As he finishes his speech, people start to get up and leave. Anne stays in her seat. If she looses her life on this case, it won't matter to anyone anyway. She has no family, and she wants to catch Kira and arrest him once and for all.

After a few minutes, there are only 7 members of the task force left. Including Anne.

"I see." Chief Yagami says.

"Thank you for those who stayed. I'm happy to be working with you." The computer says, which is just L speaking.

But then, another police officer starts yelling and complaining about not being able to trust L because he never shows his face, then after some arguing, he leaves.

Anne disagrees with this statement, however, she does think it would make sense to be able to meet L in person.

The remaining task force talks with L about meeting him in person. Then, the strangest thing happens. He accepts. He tells them that he's staying in a nearby hotel, he gives them details like his room number, and the conditions in order to meet him. He wants them to go in groups of 3 or 4, and they have to be at least a half hour apart from eachother. They accept these conditions, and they all leave for the rest of the day. Tomorrow, they are meeting L.

The next morning, Anne wakes up at 7:00. Her group is the first to go, and they must arrive at 8:00.

She gets herself ready, and before long, it's time to go. They arrive at the hotel, and wait in the lobby for the others. About an hour later, they knock on the door that L said he was in.

"Come in." They hear a voice say. Why does that voice sound so familiar to Anne?

They open the door and see a man in his twenties, with a white, long sleeved shirt and baggy jeans standing there staring at them. Everyone in the task force stands in the doorway and stares in shock. This is not what they expected to be the greatest detective in the world. But it all adds up to Anne. The messy raven colored hair, the jet black eyes with the dark bags under them. Everything was exactly as it was 7 years ago.

Lawliet was L!