Chapter 2

School was out, and Anne couldn't have been more sad. Once she got home, she sat on her bed with her head in her hands and cried. It was all over. She would never see Lawliet again after today. But... there was prom. No. He wouldn't be there, she knew that. And besides, even if he were to go, she wouldn't attend. She knew that nobody was going to ask her, so why bother going to a dance if your just going to sit there? This made her cry harder. She wanted, more than anything, was to dance with Lawliet. To see him one last time. But, she knew that he wouldn't ask her. She was sure he didn't even like her back. And if he did, surely they would have been a couple by now? No... he wasn't that kind of person. 

Anne sat on her bed thinking about him, and crying. About a half hour of this went by, until the phone rang. She was tempted not to answer it, but decided to. She looked at the caller ID. It said Wammy's House. Could it be? Her heart pumped loudly in her chest as she answered the call. 

"Hello?" She sniffled. 

"Anne?" The voice on the other line asked. 

There was no mistaken it. It was him. But why was he calling her house? 

"Yes." She replied. 

"It's Lawliet." He said. 

"Yeah... I know." She said. 

"Oh. Umm so you're probably wondering why I called your house." He said. 

"Yeah." She said. 

"Well umm... the dance is tonight and I was umm... wondering if..." 

She waited for him to finish his sentence. Why did he sound so nervous? He was probably just going to ask her to hand out food or something. Anne wouldn't let herself get her hopes up. 

"Umm... I was wondering if..." 

"Yes?" She asked innocently. But inside, she was dying for him to get to the point. 

She hears him sigh. Then, he continues. 

"Anne, will you go to prom with me?" 

She can't believe her ears. Is she dreaming? Or is this real? Did Lawliet really just ask her to be his date to prom? 

"Umm one sec, I'll have to ask my parents, cuz I told them I wasn't going." She replies. 

"Ok." He says. 

She doesn't really need to ask her parents. They are out of town at the moment. She really just needed to get off the phone before she ended up screaming in his ear. She goes to her balcony and takes several deep breaths. Then, once she's calmed down a bit, she runs back downstairs and picks up the phone. 

"Hello? You still there?" She asks. 

"Yes." He answers. 

"I would love to go to prom with you, and my parents said I can too." She says.

"Ok. I'll pick you up around 6:30, and the dance starts at 7." He says emotionlessly. 

"Ok. Sounds good." Anne says, trying not to sound as excited as she feels. 

"Until then." He says. 

"Until then." She repeats. 

And then he hangs up. She spends the next 10 minutes dancing around her house in excitment. But then she realizes, she needs a dress! Since she has no friends, and her parents are gone, she has to drive herself. 

She grabs her wallet and skips out the door. She drives to the nearest dress shop, and a store assistant is more than happy to help her find the perfect dress.