“I don’t mean to be rude little one but we have to move.” Michael said urgently, looking over his shoulder towards the woods. “While we were coming this way, we were flying away from a rather large group of vampires camped up several miles from here but they were heading in this general direction.”

Sean, Cian and Cary shot a meaningful look at each other and nodded once, saying unanimously, “Lucius.” Michael spun around and produced a low growing sound in his throat as he stared at the three vampires before he glanced around, his eyes lingering on the small part of my pack and the witch twins before his posture relaxed slightly.

“Well, if the witches are involved, I guess we can trust the others around our daughter.” He mumbled to himself before turning towards Paige’s mom with a meaningful look. She replied by lifting her eyebrows before sighing slightly. “Always the cautious one.” She muttered before shifting into a blue jay, which elegantly fluttered up in the sky while Michael shook his head.

“And that’s the reason why we’re still alive.” He added a bit louder before jumping up to shift into a powerful harpy as it let out a screech and flew up higher, circling up on the air currents. They waited for us to make a move but they were slowly drifting to the general direction we needed to go.

“Jake.” I looked down at Paige as she tugged at my arms to get out of my hold; At first I felt slightly dejected that she didn’t want my reassurance but then again, I did cause it myself. My face must have shown what I was thinking because Paige sighed and pecked my lips softly before looking at the darkening forest behind us.

“We need to go. Now.” She added as her eyes flashed slightly before the whole group rushed forwards as one, wolves shifting rapidly as we yanked our belongings with us between our teeth. There was no time to pack everything up nicely after we had thrown our bags down to discuss Lucius’ plans. What fell from our mouths was left behind.

Paige rose her nose in the air and sniffed a few times before shivering as she glanced back. “They’re coming and they’ll find our scent. We need to get away from them and hide our scents before we can escaped them.” I nodded once as I relayed this to the rest of the pack but none of us had an idea about how we were going to deal with this.

The blue jay elegantly swirled down before landing on the shiny fur of Nick’s shoulders, its small talons quickly grasping the red strands of fur as it looked around before laying eyes on me.

“Forgive me for being bothersome Alpha but we have a problem. The vampires have closed in on your former campsite and have now picked our scents up as well. Unless your pack is close by, we need to hide, and quickly too. This doesn’t seem like an accidental meeting.”  The warm, motherly voice drifted through my head as the bird blinked a few times before swiveling its head around to look at the forest behind us.

Lowering my head in respect, I addressed Serena calmly as my paws kept devouring the distance with dizzying speed, although I knew that we couldn’t keep this up forever. “Yes, I’m sorry we unintentionally lead them to you but we have been searching for a few weeks for you guys by now. Paige wanted you back home, where you belong.”

Serena turned her head, slightly puffing up the blue feathers on the top of her head before she dropped of Nick’s back, twisting and turning between the wolves until she flew by my side. “And where exactly is home? We don’t want to endanger anyone with our presence.” She blinked a few times before looking at my side, where Paige was running forwards with her eyes flashing between her father up in the sky, leading us to safer grounds before they flashed towards her mom by my side.