31-Leo Becomes FBI

Start from the beginning

She handed the bottle to Ron and dug inside her bag again. "Can't find it..." she grumbled. Then she brightened and pulled out an old book, "Oh, here it is—"

Ron threw the bottle into the wall.

Hermione shrieked in alarm, nearly dropping her book. "Ron, you crazed lunatic! Why did you—"

"That's poison!" he yelled.

Hermione stepped away from the mess and stared, "Poison?"

"I swear," he said, "it smells exactly like the poison that nearly killed me two years ago."

Hermione waved her wand, and the bottle fixed itself, and the drink flew back into it. She took a sniff and then peeked inside the bottle, "Ron, you're right! I can barely smell it, but it's definitely poison."

Then she glanced at him, "You really didn't need to throw it into the wall though."

"Er, right. But someone was trying to poison you."

"The target could have been anybody," Hermione said reasonably.

"Oh Hermione!" Ron cried. "If I wasn't here, you could have died!"

Hermione looked shaken, "I owe you one, Ron."

"Did Madam Rosmerta say anything about the customer?" I asked. Now I really wanted to strangle Isabell Kabrat.

Hermione shook her head, "No, I don't even know which table she took it from."

"Are there any fingerprints?" I asked.

Ron stared at me like I was crazy, "Fingerprints?"

I shrugged, "Nothing else is helping us find the person. Why not try it Muggle-style?"

"That could work," she said thoughtfully, holding the bottle by the top and putting it back in her bag, "I'll ask Leo to try when I find him."

"Do you think Isabell Kabrat acted with someone else?" I asked quietly. "Or was she bluffing?"

"Personally, I don't think she was anywhere close to bluffing."

• • •

PERCY's POV

In Greek Mythology class, my girlfriend took charge, "Hey you! No chewing gum! Everybody sit down! Class is starting!"

Once everyone was seated, she said, "Exercising only in DADA isn't enough. Everyone drop and give me thirty!"

The majority of the class were confused, "Thirty what?"

"Thirty push-ups," I said patiently. Look how smart I am.

After about ten minutes everyone was done. It was torture watching everyone struggle. Especially since half of them didn't do them right. They either had their hands too spaced apart or their butts too high.

"If you remember correctly, we're doing a review on the chapter. Now who remembers who Hestia is?"

After about half an hour of review (and mainly Annabeth doing the teaching), Annabeth revealed the kids' ultimate nightmare.

A pop quiz.

"You should all do well if you were listening in the discussion," Annabeth said sternly, sending papers flying to everyone.

"Percy," Annabeth pulled me aside. "Kreto and Duncan know next to nothing. The one useful thing they told me was that Isabell sometimes went out at night. They don't even know where she goes or what she does. And Drew told me that she moved because her parents divorced. She also reminded me about ten times that she lives with her mom, and that she's not her stepmother. When I asked her why her parents divorced —"