Chapter 3: The Change

It had been a couple of hours since the awkward conversation with Dan. It was obvious that he was hiding something, but I still didn't trust that he wouldn't hurt me. After all, he could just be a rapist, or a murderer.
Or, he might force me to do crimes with him, which I don't want to do.
I've always been a pretty good person. I've never really done anything bad in my life.
So why did this happen to me? Why did I have to be kidnapped? Why does ANYONE have to be kidnapped?
I was still handcuffed to the bed, which I had grown out of the uncomfortableness of them, but I still sighed as I tried for a final time to free myself from them.
No use, just like every other time that I had tried in the past hour or so.
At that exact moment of defeat, Dan walked into the room, holding a duffel bag.

That doesn't look good.

He placed it at the foot of the bed, and took the cuffs off of my hands.
"If you even try to run, I'll make you regret it."
I gulped and rubbed my wrists, then nodded. He smiled at me and pulled me over to a chair, and sat me down forcefully.
"We might be going out into town. I don't want anyone to know it's you, so I'm going to change some things about your look." He sat as he walked back over to the bed and grabbed the duffle bag.
I heard a small clanging noise as it dropped to the floor, which scared me slightly.

Are there knives in that bag?
Or guns?
Or belts?

I heard him shaking something, and then he told me to close me eyes. I did as I was told, with my shoulders tense.
After about 5 minutes of what sounded like perfume being sprayed everywhere, he was finished and I realized what he had done.
Obviously, it wasn't permanent.
But when he handed me a mirror, I actually kind of liked it.
Instead of my normal (h/c) hair, it was now a bright pink.
I gasped slightly when I first saw it, causing him to smile.
"I kinda like it..." I said quietly, and Dan's smile disappeared. He grunted and reached into the bag again, pulling out a black crop top and black jeans. He threw them onto the bed along with a pair of black and old looking Converse.
"Change into that," he demanded, and I stood up quickly. He closed (and locked) the door, and once I thought he wasn't anywhere near the room, I began to change. I avoided letting my hair to touch the shirt, and successfully put the outfit on without getting any of the bright pink spray getting on it.
Dan knocked on my door and shouted, "You ready? We're leaving now."
I sighed and sat down on the bed. "I'm ready," I replied, and he opened the door and grabbed my arm, pulling me outside.
I squinted my eyes and looked around. The area looked familiar, so I definitely hadn't left London, which was a relief.
I didn't get enough time to look around in detail, because Dan was pulling me towards a car. He opened the passenger side door and a reluctantly got in, knowing that if I didn't, he might kill me.
But he seemed scared, so maybe not.
"Hope you're ready, because you're helping me on this bank robbery," Dan said as he started the car and pulled away. I stared out the window and tried to ignore him, but he kept talking.
"Listen. All I need you to do is watch the car. I won't make you do anything crazy just yet, and you won't be killing anybody."
I waited for him to say yet, but he didn't. I sighed and continued to stare out the window, but he must've noticed me, because be slapped my arm.
"Hey! Cut that out! Someone might see you, and I can't lose you now," he growled, and I sighed again.
He eventually pulled up to a smaller sized bank. I looked around and saw that no one was there; surprising, since I had been kidnapped.
And no one seemed to notice.
Dan left the car on, but got out anyway.
"Get in the driver's seat and be ready to drive. Drive to the nearest bar once I get in. Got it?" Dan whispered, and I nodded. He began to creep towards the back entrance of the bank, and I watched as he went inside, then climbed into the driver's seat.
After about ten minutes, I heard the sound of alarms coming from the bank. Moments later, I saw Dan running to the car with four large sacks, hopefully containing money, not bodies.
"Drive!" He yelled, and I obeyed, flooring the gas and driving to a nearby pub. I had only been to it once, because I'm not really the drinking type, but I still know where it is.
"Park around the back and grab two bags," he said quietly. I drove to the back, where one car was parked, looking lonely and all by itself.
I parked the car near the other one, and grabbed two of the bags that Dan had thrown into the backseat. I turned the car off as he got out and sat in the other, and I followed him into the car shortly afterwards.
"Wow. Cops are slow," Dan said with a small laugh, throwing the bags to the backseat again.
"You're done for today. I probably won't have anything planned for tomorrow, unless you want a reward for obeying..." He continued, smirking at me as he began to drive away. I blushed and turned away from him.
"Absolutely not, you perv," I replied, and he just laughed. Even though I hate this guy for kidnapping me and ruining my life, I have to admit, he has a nice laugh.
He turned on the radio, and a song that I recognized had began to play.
"In a few weeks, I will get time,
To realize, it's right before my eyes,
And I can take it, if it's what I want to do."

I recognized the lyrics and voices anywhere. It was What You Know by Two Door Cinema Club. I was extremely familiar with the song, since my friend had introduced me to their music recently.
Too bad I can't listen to them anymore, since I was going to meet that same friend for coffee.
But instead, I was kidnapped.
"And I am leaving, and this is starting, to feel like, it's right before my eyes,
And I can taste it.
It's my sweet beginning."
I hadn't realized that I had been humming the lyrics, but then I did something that shocked both myself and Dan.
I started singing along.
"And I can tell just what you want,
You don't want to be alone.
And I can say it's what you know,
But you've known it the whole time.
Yeah you've known it the whole time."
Dan looked at me like I was insane, but honestly, he was the insane one.
He KIDNAPPED me.
"And maybe next year
I'll have no time
To think about
The questions to address
Am I the one
To try to stop the fire
I wouldn't test you
I'm not the best you could have attained
But why try anything
I will get there
Just remember I know."
He was still staring at me. I don't know for sure, since I was only looking at him out of the corner of my eye every once in a while, but I think he smiled at me.
Just for a split second, but I'm pretty sure he did.
Still not entirely sure.
"And I can tell just what you want
You don't want to be alone
And I can't say it's what you know
But you've known it the whole time
Yeah, you've known it the whole time

And I can tell just what you want
You don't want to be alone
And I can't say it's what you know
But you've known it the whole time
Yeah, you've known it the whole time."

The song finished, and the rest of the car ride was silent.