Door 2 - Chapter 22 - Faith

Start from the beginning

All their planning couldn't account for the lack of a car so they decided to try and hotwire into an abandoned vehicle along the way. Harris would miss the shanty town. The days spent here were the most peaceful in his time in Invio, but they had a responsibility to rescue Adra and Salem.

Harris entered the field for the last time. Taking up farming had never interested him, but it had been satisfying to work his way through the field. He could identify different sorts of plants, soil, and vegetables by now. 

He walked to the spot where the lost travelers usually slept. They'd never been the wiser of Jake and Harris's location. But they weren't in their usual spot this time. Feeling somewhat disappointed, Harris made to leave when his disappointment cleared up. The two men stared directly at him from within the field.

"Who are you?" The taller one asked, he held a rifle in his trembling hands, a worried expression on his face. "What are you doing here?"

"Take it easy, I'm not here to hurt you," Harris replied slowly.

"Hands up, then." The second, shorter one ordered, who looked equally as terrified, barely able to hold the rifle he carried. "You planned on killing us, didn't you?"

"Nothing like that."

"You're coming with us," said the first one. "Go on, move."

"No."

"You can't order us, we're with the guns." The second one attempted to take control. "Now do as he says."

"No." Harris remained unyielding.

"Then I'll shoot you." The shorter man threatened, his partner looked at him terrified. This only convinced Harris further that no such thing would happen and he stood his ground. 

"You're not going to do it," said Harris. No shots were fired. 

"How come you're so sure?"

"Because you've never done it before, and you're just trying to determine whether I'm a threat to you or not."

"And are you?"

"Not me."

The two men exchanged curious glances at the strange answer when they were ambushed from behind. Harris had seen Jake sneak through the field, who disarmed the clueless travelers without much effort, and had them staring at the end of his rifle the next moment.

"Look, man, we-we didn't want any trouble." The taller one pleaded straight away. "It's Adrian's fault, he gets too excited."

"Yeah, we just thought you were going to jump us first," said the second one. "Please, just-just let us go."

"What do you think?" Jake asked Harris. 

"I think it's up to you," Harris replied, surprising Jake greatly.

It was clear that this was Jake's first encounter where mercy was an option. He looked from Adrian to the taller one, and for a brief moment, his hands seemed to tremble near the trigger. But the next, he lowered the gun and stood back.

"Go, get out of here," said Jake, his face reflecting the effect of his decision. The men, however, seemed to be having some mutual conflict with the opportunity to escape.

"You're not like the other people we've seen." The tall one said. "Aren't you one of the attackers?"

Harris shook his head.

"That's a relief," they laughed. "So what are you guys doing here, then?"

"Trying to find a way out."