Chapter 16: Part One

this story is copyright to bnstorymaker 2013 (me)

all rights reserved : )

*Damien's PoV*

An hour after I put Claire in The Box, I decided to take a nap. Once my eyes got heavy I could hear Claire screaming out for help. At first, I tried to ignore it, but it only got worse. I covered my ears, but her pleas wouldn't stop. At one point I even placed my pillow over my head, but it was no use. I let out a sigh of frustration as I threw the pillow on the floor. It's not like she was going to die down there. I couldn't let her die just yet. I had to take her to the Royal Ball after all.

I quickly hopped out of my bed and headed towards Claire. I figured that the only way I would be able to get some sleep was by letting her out. She was so lucky that we were mates or else she would've died down there. When I arrived to the secret door I began to push certain buttons in order to open it. Once it opened, the smell of blood flooded into my nose. It wasn't strong, but it was still blood. I quickly scanned the area and saw Claire in the center of the room on the floor.

I walked over to her and nudged her with my foot. She didn't move, but I could see her chest still rising and falling slowly. I quickly picked her up and carried her out of The Box. She was ice cold and her skin was ashen. If I waited another hour she would've been dead.

I made it upstairs and quickly placed her into my bed wrapping the covers around her. I ran to the thermostat and turned it to about eighty five degrees. She needed to warm up fast. I waited for about twenty minutes before I took her temperature, but she was still ice cold. I decided to hop into the bed with her to warm her up. I wrapped my arms around her and watched her sleep. The only reason why I was helping her was because she had protected me when she didn't have to. Now it was my turn.

I began to stroke her cheek lightly and watched as her skin slowly turned back to a light peach. She slowly opened her eyes and was startled to see me. Claire quickly slide off the bed, but collapsed to the floor.

She was still weak. She needed to rest.

"Come back to bed, Claire. You need to rest."

"No! I don't want to be anywhere near you. Leave me alone."

Claire was still shivering and her teeth chattered lightly as she spoke.

" Come to bed or you'll catch a cold and I don't want that."

"Why bother? We keep having these moments where we act like we are in love with each other and then we hate each other. Just tell me, why do I have to be your mate? Out of all people why you?"

I was shocked. She knew that we were mates?! I just shrugged knowing that none of it mattered despite whoever told her. The only thing that kept her alive this long was her "attachment" to me.

I lazily got off the bed to carry her back.

"I don't know why we have to be mates. It just happened. I'm sorry for putting you in The Box." I smiled trying to comfort her.

Instead when I tried to pick her up, she hit me in the chest with her fist. I ignored her and gently placed her in the bed. When I layed beside her she rolled over and refused to look at me. I hovered over and saw that she had cuts on her hands. I grabbed the first aid kit out from the beside dresser next to me.

"Roll over." I said softly.

Claire did as I said and rolled over looking into my eyes wearily.

I gently grabbed her cool hand in mine and began to dab away the blood. Not once did my eyes leave hers. For once, I felt as if I wanted her for myself and suddenly I had a possessive feeling overcome me. I don't want another man near her, to touch her, or have her. She was /mine/ and mine only.