Thirteen - "Forced soul mate."

Unedited
xo

Lily

Sometimes we don't really know why we do things. Why we feel certain ways.

Vlad and I walked past through the tents, past the field and down the path to the lake. It was a dark but warm night and the moon and starlight reflected on the lake creating a silver glow around us.

I took him to a bench I knew I would find on the left side of the lake and we sat down. That's when I realized we were still holding hands and I let go.

He took it again.

I looked up timidly at him.

This boy was driving me nuts. My feelings were already all over the place and his mixed signals were killing me.

"Why are you up at such an ungodly hour?" I derailed from confronting him about holding my hand like this.

He just smiled and looked ahead.

"I wanted a tour, and this definitely isn't it." He laughed.

"Hey! You know we'll get busted this is far enough that we're not heard." I crossed my legs.

He stared at me for a good minute.

"What?" I asked.

"You're, beautiful." I immediately looked down. I really wasn't used to compliments from boys. Especially not hot boys. Who were dating your apparent nemesis.

"Can I ask you a question?" I exhaled.

"Sure birdie, what is it?" He moved an inch closer out of curiosity.

It was probably something he didn't notice, but I did.

"Can you answer my question from earlier with a bit more detail?"

I knew I was overstepping my boundaries but I didn't care. This wasn't school and I had a chance to come out of my lane a bit.

He pursed his lips and blew some air out as he exhaled softly then raised his brows.

"I don't know if it's mine to tell." He looked up at me genuinely with his piercing eyes that looked as lovely as ever tonight.

"You can trust me." I smiled.

He got comfortable so I knew he was about to spill. A part of me was really excited but the other dreaded this because I knew I was about to confirm their connection that I could never undo.

"I met Beverly when I was in diapers. My parents own one of the most successful architecture businesses in the country. They do architecture and Beverly's did interior design. They'd planned it since college.

I don't know if they thought this was some kind of a Disney movie but they always wanted Beverley and me to date. She always felt the 'spark' but...I didn't.

It always made me wander. If both parties didn't feel it, couldn't you call that a...forced soulmate?"

I thought about my answer but only came up with, "Yes."

He turned to look at me with a smirk.

"You didn't have to date her you know. If you had a good friendship then, what's wrong with that?"

His face was now troubled.

"It's more complicated than that." He stood up and took a stone, skipping it over the water but failing miserably.