Twelve - "Don't call me that!"

Happy new year folks!!! Enjoy xo

Unedited

Lily

"Lily Hastie you're with Kenya Kekoa."

Who now?

I searched the crowd of waiting and eager students and saw a beautiful tall girl with long and wavy dark hair approach me. She looked Hawaiian and seemed like the friendly type. I know this because she smiled the entire time she walked to me.

"Hey I'm Kenya!" She gave me an unexpected hug.

"Oof, hey I'm Lily. Nice to meet you."

"Let's get going shall we?" She flashed me another smile and we started walking side by side to camp.

"So are you a senior?" I asked baffled.

I'd never actually seen her before. Oops?

"No I'm a junior like you. I actually only came to the school this year. I used to live two towns away but now I live 15 minutes from school." She smiled as she spoke.

"Hmm, so what do you think of this school?" A couple of other campers were passing us now because of our slow pace.

"Do you want the truth or a lie?" She grimaced.

"Truth would be great." I laughed.

"Well I've made a friend or two. But everyone else is just so superficial. Everyone wants to be popular or cool. The girls will do anything to get the jock's attention and it's really annoying actually.

One of my first friends that I made is a really clever girl but when I saw how stupid she acted in front of guys I immediately dropped her.

You might think I'm just being shallow but I just feel like popularity is such a horrible priority to have. Especially if it means making yourself uncomfortable or any less fabulous." She winked.

I took a deep breath and looked at her.

"Wow...that was deep." I looked at the ground.

Great now I felt really bummed out. She's telling me exactly what Casey was saying.

Casey.

I miss him so much.

"Kenya. I know I just met you but...can I trust you?"

I was losing my mind but desperate times call for desperate measures. I needed a friend now more than ever and I was getting really good vibes from Kenya.

She flashed me a bright and friendly smile.

"Of course. Can I trust you?" She asks back.

"Of course." I smiled.

"Well then. I think this is the beginning of a great friendship!" We laughed as we reached camp.

For the next hour or so everyone was struggling to put together their tents and some were just straight up not trying. There was a group of senior girls who had just given up and resorted to flirting with the naive junior boys in order to get help.