Chapter Two

| Winter Alexander |

I watched Jade, conversing with her small group of friends. It's all I ever seemed to do these days, sadly enough—watch her. She was beautiful, and I saw her at her high when she talked to her friends. She seemed so animated around them. Her hair, in all of its ombré glory, bounces as she moves her head, and she makes gestures with her hands, as if she's trying to grasp what her mouth can't quite communicate. She was short, with an umbery, golden brown skin tone. I remember how I felt the pang of her rejection yesterday, but really, how could it escape my memory? She didn't say it explicitly, but I could tell. Anybody could tell. I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. It was a long shot, but I tried anyways.

"Winter, are you even listening?" Kara, my best friend, waved her hand in front of my face jokingly.

I blinked, realizing that Kara was talking to me. "Huh? Yeah," My hair fell in front of my face, and I let it, while swallowing a piece of food that I had been chewing for too long a time. "Yeah." I looked down, focusing on my near empty plate of food.

"Are you sure?" She laughed.

"Yeah, I'm listening," I lied, not wanting her to think I didn't care.

"Oh yeah? Then what was I talking about?" she tested, smirking at me.

"Um," I searched my head for the most likely answer. "You were talking about how hot Tyler is?"

"I knew you weren't listening." She shrugged it off, taking the last bite of what I assume was supposed to be mashed potatoes. "But you were close. I was talking about how hot David was. Besides, Tyler's dating that Lauren girl. I try not to fantasize about guys who are taken."

"David, as in Jade's friend, David?" I questioned.

"Well, yeah, the only other David we know has braces and wears a bowtie," she joked.

"Don't be mean," I scolded, though I knew her intentions were good.

"I'm not! The simple truth is that I'm just not into nerds. I'm into tall, tan, dark haired, brown-eyed . . ."

"Okay, I get it!" I exclaimed, stopping her from dragging on about just how hot David was. Which is a kind of hypocritical thing for me to say, taking the way I talk about Jade in consideration. I like to think I'm more poetic, though.

Jade in herself is a poem. Her dark lipstick contrasts the light in her eyes, and I see it in her everyday. There's a broken background in her, I can sense it, but the present time makes her shine. She mostly wears these black pair of platform boots, which keep her standing tall. Her height asks for flat shoes, but the evident insecurity inside her begs for platform boots. I'd like to see her without those shoes, one day. Metaphorically.

"Hey girl, instead of staring at her like some kind of creep, why don't you actually talk to her?" Kara suggested, and I know I've been caught staring again. "We should get going," she adds, and we both get up to put the lunch trays back.

"Last time I did that, I got shot down," I reminded her, "Besides, the bell will ring in-" I was cut off by the shrill, annoying sound of what I was just speaking about, "Now."

///\\\

The open calculus textbook in front of me screamed, with all sorts of numbers and letters that didn't make any sense. I sighed as I angrily shut it, declaring another night of homework impossible. The pure annoyance and frustration inside of me instantly went away when I saw my phone light up with a new text. It was an unsaved number, but my face lit up when I read it.

hey, it's jade

A slight squeal escaped me, as stupid as it may sound.

Hey

I have to admit I was surprised she even kept my number, with how she was acting, I figured she just threw the slip of paper away.

sorry for bothering you. my friend david practically took my phone and texted you himself.

Knowing she would never text me of her own accord, I laughed. I had seen her loathing glares too many times for her to actually want to talk to me. My spirit dropped a level as I realized this, but I texted back anyways.

I'll never be bothered by you

I bet she rolled her eyes at my response, either that or simply brushed it off.

wait until you get to know me, i will bother you 24/7

I saw this as an opportunity, and absentmindedly I smirked, even though she couldn't see me.

Are you inviting me to get to know you?

Her response didn't come immediately after this time, so that gave me a few minutes to worry. But it came.

you wish

I laughed before replying.

Is that a challenge?

Her answer came seconds after this time.

i'm getting the feeling you see everything as a challenge

I considered Jade's reply.

I only see you as a challenge.

Did Jade like my boldness, or find it annoying? I hoped for the former.

really? how so?

The moment I read this, I knew the answer.

You hate me don't you? I'm almost sure you think I'm completely fake, and I want to change that.

For a split second, I was scared. I almost didn't send the text, but before I could change my mind, my thumb had already pressed send.

wow almost spot on! except that you think you can change that.

This reply almost physically hurt. She really did hate me.

I think I already am changing it.

I managed to keep my confidence up through the message, somehow, although the fact that she openly admitted she hated me certainly didn't help. Any doubts of her dislike towards me have finished in a few words.

do you now?

I laughed at her text. I could feel the sarcasm.

Well, you're still texting me aren't you?

Her reply didn't come.