six

"thank you." luke whispers gratefully as he sits opposite michael in a fast food diner, michael's hoodie draped around his shoulders as he quivers.

"no prob, bob." michael hums to him, crossing his arms and leaning them against the table. luke sighs and looks down into his milkshake.

"i can't go home tonight." he says quietly and michael looks up from his burger.

"why not?" he questions and luke bites his lip and looks up.

"my brother will have shown my mum the picture, i'm presuming you've seen it." luke huffs and michael nods.

"i'm sorry, you don't care about my ass and problems surrounding it, why are you out at this time?" luke asks him and michael shrugs.

"i just needed a walk, i guess, and i do care, luke." he whispers and luke smiles weakly, taking the gherkin out of his burger.

"these are so gross, why do people like them?" he chuckles and michael smirks.

"my dad eats them for us, it's so disgusting." he chuckles and luke sticks his tongue out in disgust.

"i've got a question." luke tells him and michael nods.

"fire away." he chirps and luke looks at his legs.

"please can i stay at yours tonight? i know it's a big deal but calum is at ashton's tonight and they'll probably be doing it, so i have nowhere else." luke pleads desperately and michaels lips part slightly.

"yeah, it should be fine, as long as you don't mind wearing the same clothes." michael smiles and luke grins, his face almost radiant.

"thank you so much, i'll just tell my mum i'm at ashton's and tell him to cover for me if she calls him." luke plots, taking his phone out and texting the two people speedily. he sets his phone back on the table and finishes his burger.

"you can take the milkshake with you, come on." michael smiles sweetly and luke nods, scooting out the booth and michael picks up the tray. the remainders of the meal are dumped into the bin as luke loudly sucks on his straw.

michael's lips curl fondly and luke grabs his hand subconsciously before realising and putting his hand by his side with a blush.

"sorry, i'm used to holding people's hands." he apologises and michael gives the younger boy a smirk and pulls his hand into his own and swings them a little between them.

"it's fine with me." he whispers and luke giggles into the side of his milkshake, pulling michael out the diner and they start walking down the empty street.

"what time is it?" luke asks and michael pulls his phone out.

"about eleven." he answers, squeezing his fingers a little and luke smiles to himself, sipping his milkshake. michael felt like an absolute champion. normally he was a stuttering mess around luke because of his love for the slightly shorter boy.

the two ended up in michael's house, laughing while blowing up an air mattress and gathering sheets for luke's stay. michael's mother had cooed at luke in wonder and complimented his outfit and michael's dad had sent him a smile from a beaten up sofa.

"hey, thanks for letting me stay." luke whispers at three am and michael smiles down.

"anytime, bub."