five

(A/N- This video is one of the funniest ones I've ever seen. Although the interviewer is rather..odd... the video itself is hilarious. It's a random video you should watch at the end of the chapter. Hope you enjoy!)

Lauren's POV:

1 week. 7 days. 10,080 minutes. 604,800 seconds. That was how long it had been since my Averi had said a word to me. She has been attached to Camila's hip. The girls were constantly telling me it would be fine and at first I believed them, but now, I am not so sure.

As we drove to the court for the temporary placement hearing, I was quickly losing every ounce of hope I had left in me. Today was the day where a judge and Averi would be deciding our fate together. I hoped and prayed that Averi would choose me, but I didn't know anymore.

"Lo, we're here," Camila said quietly, shaking me out of my train of thoughts.

"Okay," I replied and got out of the car, walking to the designated court room.

When we walked in, Layla was sitting close to the front in a black dress. She glared at me, rolling her eyes. The girls walked to the area where witnesses sat and Averi and I walked to our attorney. While we sat waiting for the arrival of the judge, I looked at Averi. She was wearing a blue dress with lace at the top along with a black cardigan, black sandals and her long hair down with a braid held together with a barrette.

"All stand for the arrival of Judge Kensinger," a small lady in the back said. I was brought back to reality, from my thoughts, as I watched, along with everyone else, as the judge walked in.

"Please sit," Judge Kensinger, a middle aged, tall man said.

"We are here for two reasons today: to determine the status of Ms. Layla Patricks the guardianship of Miss Averi Grace. Miss Averi will either obtain guardianship from Miss Lauren Jauregui, birth mother, or return to her foster center, as a ward of the state of Florida."

"Ms. Patricks, please come to the stand," he said and as the trial began.

Following hours of questioning and refutations, along with decisions from the jury, the first half of the trial came to a close.

"I have come to a final decision. After hearing both parties and speaking to the children in the home, Ms. Layla Patricks is thereby sentenced to twelve months in prison and 500 hours of community service, to be completed after her sentence, on the accounts of the nature and capacity of the negligence and harassment. This sentence is to be served immediately," he said as two police officers took Layla out, while she screamed at us.

"Now, onto the second issue. The guardianship of Averi Grace," the judge said after everything had been cleared. "Ms. Jauregui, please come up to the stand."

I went up and explained everything, from getting pregnant to seeing Averi at the concert. The judge nodded and asked the attorney for the state to come up. Averi was a ward of the state, hence said attorney.

"Your honor. I don't believe Ms. Jauregui is capable of taking care of a ten year old. First off, she left her once, what is to say she won't do it again? This young girl needs to be raised in a stable place and be adopted by a grown man and wife, not a girl in her mid twenties who is constantly on the road. Which brings me to my next argument. Averi is eleven years old, and will soon be entering adolescence which is a sensitive time. She needs two parents who can help her, not a former teen mother who will be out at clubs and bars all night," she said as I felt my blood boil.

"Ms. Jauregui, please come up one last time," Judge Kensinger said and I walked up trying to stay calm.

"Your honor," I nodded." First of all, I have proof and have made it very clear that it wasn't my choice to give Averi away. With me, Averi is in a stable location. She is my daughter and who are you to be saying anything. You do not know me so you are in no way, state, or form to say that I not capable of taking care of my own blood and flesh. I realize Averi is going to be a teenager soon, and I know how to take care of her, and she has an amazing support system behind her," I said pointing to the girls. " Don't you dare say I go to clubs and bars. You have absolutely no right to tell me what to do or make guesses about my life. So, don't you make stupid, unprofessional assumptions. You don't know a damn thing about Averi or I, so don't think you do." I said now yelling directly at the attorney before walking back to my seat.

"Sorry, your Honor. Thank you," I said, apologizing for raising my voice to the judge.

"Thank you Ms. Jauregui. Both sides have made very convincing arguments and now we need one more person to speak. Averi, will you please come up?" he said as Averi hesitantly stood up, walking to the stand.

"Averi, would you say Ms. Jauregui is capable of caring for you?" he asked and she nodded. I released a breath that I didn't know I was holding out.

"Are you comfortable with Ms. Jauregui?"

Averi nodded.

"Do they abuse you in any way?" he asked and Averi shook her head violently.

This went on for about an hour before Judge Kensinger asked a final question.

"Now Averi, this is the last question and an important one. Do you want to live with Ms. Lauren Jauregui?" he asked and Averi took a breath before speaking.

"At first, when I walked in, I honestly wasn't sure. I mean, my idol somehow ended up becoming the mother I never had. I thought, maybe it would be better for me to go back to foster care, but after hearing how passionately Lauren defended me, I felt something. It was love. I have never been loved before. This was the very first time. Lauren and I have had ups and downs over the past week, but I wouldn't want anyone other than her to take care of me." she said looking at me. "She has always been my idol, my rock, my savior, and inspiration. Without her, I don't know if I would be alive. So, no I do not want to go back to foster care. I will go home though. To Lauren and the rest of the girls. They are my family now and I don't know why it took so long for me to realize that. So to answer your question, yes. I absolutely want to live with Ms. Jauregui. I want to live with Lauren. I want to be with my mom." she said, tears streaming down her face, as well as nearly everyone else's, including myself. Jumping off of the seat behind the stand, Averi walked down the stadium steps as she headed towards me.

I crouched down and opened my arms and Averi ran into them, and I hugged her for the first time in what felt like forever.

"I love you, Lauren" she said.

"I love you more, baby," I replied as she squeezed me tighter.

We remained in an embrace as the judge left the courtroom to make his decision. After what felt like a hundred years, he returned and the session resumed.

"Attention. After deliberation, it is decided that the custody of Averi Grace James is going to Lauren Michelle Jauregui. We will reconvene in three months, but unless there is an unexpected circumstance, this is a permanent placement. Miss Jauregui, you and Miss James can file paperwork for any legal name changes at the registrar, if that is something you want to pursue. Court case dismissed." he said and got up walking out. I let go of Averi, who was still gripping onto me.

"We did it baby, you're mine, Averi Grace Jauregui" I whispered to her kissing her temple. She smiled at me and kissed my neck then got up, running to the girls, who were coming towards us. I watched as she ran to Camila and Dinah hugging them, then to Normani and Ally, repeating the action. I got up and walked to them.

"Let's go celebrate!" I smiled, locking my hand with Averi's. We walked out and into the car. It's amazing how a few hours can change your life. A couple hours ago, I was worried, terrified of losing my daughter again, and now I'm waking away, with her, hand in hand, forever. Life was finally starting to make a turn upward.

If only I knew what I had in store for the near future.

Averi's POV:

As we walked away, hand in hand, I couldn't help but think about the past day. This morning, I wasn't sure what was going to become of me. If I decided to leave Lauren, I would have to live with that guilt and sadness forever, but she hurt me by giving me up. I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but after hearing her speech for me, I knew that we were brought back together for a reason, and needed to stay together. Life was finally falling in place for us.

But, you know what they say, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. If only I knew what was going to happen soon.

-

Hey guys! Happy Sunday!! I told you guys I would make it up to you! Here's a surprise update!

I hope you enjoyed it! So, Averi stayed with Lauren, but what do you think is going to happen? Comment what you think will happen!

Until next time!