[33]

I forgot to update yesterday!!!!!

why? cause I'm a little shit that's why

So tonight is homecoming and I'm really nervous someone will ask me to dance as a joke and idk this is just an irrational (completely rational) fear of mine I guess

And idk I want to dance with Isaiah but he'd never dance with me so....

I'm going w my friend Kate tho so 😌 plus I'm gonna hand w my best friend all day

Eric's not going to hoco tho and I'm sad

But anyway

I'll update again soon, but insist thought I'd check in with y'all xx

Enjoy
****************************************

The rain had picked up considerably since Hazel and Logan had entered the school. It was an uncharacteristically miserable day in Arlington Heights.

"I'm not walking two miles in this. No. Not happening," she pursed her lips. Logan laughed as she dialed Mike.

"Hello?" he answered.

"Hey, Mikey. We're at the school, and it's raining, and we're not walking home. So can you come pick us up?" she asked him. He laughed.

"Yeah. I'll be there in a couple minutes."

"Thank you."

Mike hung up, and Hazel sighed. She put her head in her hands and sat down miserably on the granite front steps. Logan sat down next to her and put his arm around her.

"Do you want to talk?" he asked tentatively, taking in his girlfriend's distressed and seemingly miserable state. Hazel remained silent, but after a long moment, spoke.

"In eighth grade, I was messing around with Jimmy and a couple other friends. It wasn't anything great, just taking a few chip shots. I made what I thought was a lucky shot from center circle. The middle school soccer coach asked me to try out. I told him no. So the next year, right? Mr. Lavallee was my biology teacher. So after class one day, he grabs me. He tells me that I should try out. I said no. So they're about a month into the season, right, and he asks me again. He's practically begging me. Mr. L. was my favorite, so I figured that I might as well. I figure I'll prove him wrong." She laughed, almost cynically, and Logan raised his eyebrows, intrigued by this side of Hazel.

"So I tried out, and I made it. Everyone started flipping out, cause a freshman made the Varsity squad. The Athletic Director, Mr. Lavallee, everyone got involved. And it was insane. I didn't play much the first few weeks, cause the striker Talia DiGaglione was one of the best in the county. So I just played on both squads," she laughed again. "It was Mr. Lavallee's idea. But then...then Talia got hurt," she shuddered. "It was awful. Her leg practically got snapped in half. You could see the tendon, you could....It was so awful," she shuddered again. "So Mr. Lavallee put me in. I don't even remember what happened, quite honestly. I remember scoring a goal, but even then, I barely remember it," she laughed, shaking her head. She then thought back to after the game, the ambulance, the checking on Talia. She thought of the team's McDonald's dinner they had in her hospital room with a chuckle. "The next thing I knew, all these rich, private schools were offering me crazy money to go play soccer for them. I knew playing at a big name private school like St. Viator's or Metropolitan Prep would make it more likely for me to get a scholarship. I knew I'd be more likely to get a scholarship coming from a highly accredited private school," Haz admitted. "I stayed where I was, though. And all of the sudden I started getting attention. People started noticing me. I absolutely hated it, though. I hated it."