3

"Dan?" The kid looks awful. My stomach drops at all of the tubes and wires connected to him, adding to my guilt. "I'm glad you came back here." Even through everything I've put him through, and everything that is going on at this exact moment, Phil smiles a small smile. I have never seen such a beautiful thing.

"I..um.. I'm just glad that you're okay.." my voice trails off and I stand beside him, very interested in my shoes. His mom huffs, and loudly leaves the room. She is disgusted by me an can't stand to be in the same room as me... I don't blame her.

"I wouln't be okay if you hadn't have found me." He whispers. I can tell that he is trying to get me to look as him, but I can't. I can't look into those piercing blue eyes that I myself, have made cry multiple times.

"I'm sure you would have been fine, you're pretty strong, afterall." My attempt to make the mood lighter sorely failed as an awkward silence hung in the room.

"No, I would have died." He sighs and starts fiddling with his thumbs. A nervous habit I suppose. "Hey Dan?"

"Yes?" I'm afraid to answer whatever question he is about to ask, but I stay quiet and let him ask it.

"Why did you do it? Why did you save me?" I looked up at him, unable to avoid it any longer. I searched his eyes for any hint of anger, or hatred, but his expression was unreadable.

"I don't know" I answered honestly. I really don't know why I went in the bathroom and carried him to my car. "Maybe I was just trying to make up for all the times I've hurt you." I surprised myself at that answer, I hadn't meant to say it outloud.

"You've never hurt me Dan." He looks down at his hands, and I have an urge to take his hand in mine, and comfort him. Instead I put my hands in my pockets.

"I've hurt you plenty of times, Phil. Every time I did nothing, I was inadvertently hurting you. And I know that I've said plenty of things, with the intention of hurting you. And I'm sorry." I looked around the small room, not knowing that I was crying until a gentle hand wiped a tear from my cheek.

"I know you didn't want to, Dan. It's okay. I'm okay." He slowly put his arm back on his stomach. "I could always tell that you didn't mean all those things you've said. Your eyes told me." By this time, the kid is mumbling and struggling to keep his eyes open. I put my hand on his shoulder, giving him a light squeeze before I quietly walk back out. I head the opposite that way I come from and moments later I found myself in the hospital gift shop. It's a children's hospital, so naturally there are a lot of stuffed animals, and fun games. I feel inclined to spend the last of my paycheck on Phil, so that's what I do. I only have $10 so the only thing I can really afford is a "Get well soon" Balloon and a small stuffed lion, the size of my palm. The lady who checked me out gave me a pen and a little card to write Phil's room number on so they could deliver it to him. I wrote a little note on the back reading

"stay brave kid xx Dan"

I told the lady thanks, and walked out of the shop with my head low, and my hands in my pockets. I did not want to go home, but I had to.

A/n

short, I know. and also unedited bc im too lazy. just holla @ me if you see a mistake so i can fix it. Most of this was written at school and i was a little rushed, so im sorRRY THAT IT SUCKS!

thank you for reading, ily. dobt be afraid to vote and comment!