Ch. 2: Visit from the Knight

He stared you down silently.

"I—uh," you blurted out, concluding that you would never live this down. Mr. Garage dude was probably going to rat you out to the entire village.

"Sir Garroth." He let out some air, suppressing what you thought could be a chortle, and added no further statement.

You couldn't make out his exact facial expression under the shadow of his helmet. Although, his posture wasn't as rigid anymore.

He cleared his throat, resuming his professional manner. "I'll see again soon for the tour."

***

When a resounding knock came from your door the next morning, you slumped further into your bean bag chair where you'd been reading the latest novel from your favorite series. Books were a permanent world your mind could reside in—as opposed to the material one in front you that would be replaced in a month, tops.

There was no point in attempting to navigate the vastness of this town, or to make any friendships in it, either. Besides, you couldn't stand to face the embarrassment. Maybe you could get away with pretending not to be home.

***

Another morning, and sure enough, another knock. You winced. Maybe he'd give up if you pretended to be out for the day again.

***

Another day and night cycle passed. Around the same time as it had yesterday, a few knocks tapped at your door, then silence.

You wouldn't answer. Your philosophy was that so long as you didn't go outside, there was no obligation to socialize. Although this guard guy's knocking was really putting a damper on your wisdom.

From the direction of your porch came the guard's muffled voice. "The villagers reported not seeing any motion from your house, day or night."

Like that's a bad thing. "What, are you guys stalking me?" you said under your breath, though not making any move towards the door.

"If you're hearing this, please open the door. I need to see that you're alright."

There wasn't any catching a break. You begrudgingly opened the door, and sure enough, Sir Garage from a few days ago was there. "Good to see you again," you deadpanned.

"You as well. I'll let the village know you're okay." There was no apparent grudge behind his words—purely curtesy, and perhaps some relief.

"Oh—" you let out. You'd never had a village this concerned for your well-being. A pang of guilt set it. You really had blown the guy off. "I'm . . . Sorry. For my absence. We can get that tour out of the way if you're still up for it."

"It's of no consequence. Shall I also tell the Lord to be expecting you soon?" And just like that, his words no longer held significant weight; they were solely grounded in reason.

***

After explaining the basics of the village's history regarding Lady Irene, all while pointing out certain landmarks, the knight deemed it adequate time to walk you home. The two of you began on the trail leading to your modest peasant cottage.

The walk back was silent: he made as much an effort for conversation as you did. Instead, you picked out a few places from the tour. Mostly the plaza that was always swarmed with people, and the large purple-crayon house that stood on top of a large, wheat-field-surrounded hill (that was where the Lord lived).

The guard stopped at your doorstep. "I hope you'll find the time we spent useful."

"I'm sure it'll come in handy for all of those times I go outside," you attempted at a self-aware jab.

The guard's head bobbed to the side, weighing your words. "Notwithstanding," he responded pleasantly, before taking his queue to exit stage left. "I'm sure it would be of service to you if I saw myself out."

He turned around, but the moment his back faced you, you reached out. "Hey—" you started casually.

He turned around, his chainmail clanking. "Yes, Lady ____?"

"Tell Lord Aphmau I'll be there tomorrow."

And for the first time, you thought you made out what could be the semblance of a smile underneath his helmed forefront.