Ch 41: Unconscious

*quality control warning: this chapter hasn't been completely rewritten yet, but it's sliiightly edited*

Outside of the Inn, a day later, Garroth's POV:

"Brendan, Katelyn, Aaron, ____ . . ." I lingered on your name, then continued, "and last but probably least, Travis."

Around late-afternoon, we all stood outside of the inn after checking out. I ensured Travis wouldn't pose any threats before shifting my gaze around the rest of my group. Aaron's stance was stiff beside you, his arms crossed. I couldn't hold his gaze for more than two seconds without swallowing. I had no regrets when it came to you, so hiding my true thoughts came shamefully.

I much preferred examining you. My heart leapt boundlessly at the sight: you, glancing back at me with unwavering solidarity. My pulse quickened in a compulsive urgency to protect—to keep you the furthest stretch away from even the most mundane threat. I bit my tongue, attempting (in vain) to conceal the obvious. That I'd fallen harder than I thought.

To my left, Dante approached as I shook out of my stupor. "It looks like we're ready to head out," he decided, double-checking the counting of his group.

***

We reached Nahakra after a few pain-staking hours of complaining from both Travis and Katelyn. They sure made a fun combination for us.

Nahakra looked officially official, but not as officially official as Scaleswind. Or O'khasis. I shivered at the thought of the powerhouse that neighbored this village. Behind the gates, I scanned the area. Light post, wooden pathway. Amongst the many people was a woman and her little girl ordering from a man in his merchant cart, a family of too many kids to count, and Lord Aphmau. There she was.

I approached hers and Laurance's groups, mine in tow. Seeing them again reminded me that maybe I'd missed them a bit.

Lord Aphmau took a step toward me. "Who's he?" she asked subtly.

"Who?" I had momentarily forgotten about our new addition. Travis must have really stuck out, his snow white hair and all. "Oh, that's Travis."

And for the first time in forever, I was able to introduce him, but my glorious moment was cut short. Gray light flickered through the air and Travis fell to the ground, a completely different form.

"Travis!" you shouted, making a break toward him. I immediately shot my arm out, holding you back.

Second Person:

You were all sorts of confused. Travis was in trouble, and most likely pain. Garroth's sympathetic gaze caught yours, almost convincing your clouded mind to settle down.

"Stand back, he could be dangerous," Garroth instructed, wanting to de-escalate the rash decisions he knew you were planning.

"Yeah, you're right," you agreed, catching your breath.

Garroth lowered his arm, trusting you'd stay by his side. However, the moment you saw him check on Lord Aphmau, you bolted towards Travis.

"____!" Garroth called out, gaining distance on you.

Garroth's pursuit was in vain. He didn't have enough time to catch up before you made it to your target, stopping yourself by skidding on the ground like a baseball player touching base. Travis' incident attracted attention, drawing up a crowd of strange onlookers, and your stunt just now didn't help with that situation.