Ch 38: Jail Time

"What are you saying?" Katelyn glared at the creepy man through slitted eyes.

"I'm saying that you look fine~" he leered, before his expression dropped at Katelyn's raised fist, his green eyes shifting back and forth nervously. He resumed his composure and chuckled. "What are you gonna do, sweet cheeks? You wouldn't punch m-"

Katelyn's fist moved swiftly, her knuckles connecting with the new man's face, sending him flat on the cut-stone pavement where he lay motionless on the ground.

"Katelyn!" you snapped, running across the plaza towards her.

"He deserved it!" she shot back.

"He did, but look!" You pointed forcefully at some approaching guards. "You've been outside for two seconds and you're already getting arrested!" you whisper-shouted.

The guards stopped in front of Katelyn, slamming their shields into the ground with a rumble. You were afraid for her, but she didn't seem to be. In an attempt to de-escalate the situation and prevent Katelyn from angering the authorities more, you pleaded. "It was self defense, look at her. . . She wouldn't hurt a fly. . ." You told the bulkier guard.

"Step aside, your defiance won't accomplish anything for anyone." The bigger guard shoved past you effortlessly and violently, knocking the breath out of you. "This guy has several infractions against the state, and now we've caught him." You let out a sigh of relief. It sounded like they wouldn't be taking Katelyn. "But your little friend isn't off the hook." Or not. Your face fell. Maybe you celebrated a little too soon. "Come down to the dungeon with me, you're being charged with assault." The large man took hold of Katelyn's upper arm in a steel grip.

The second guard grabbed her other arm, then used his free hand to hoist the white-haired man over his shoulder. You watched in horror as Katelyn let the men take her away. You were baffled she went down without a fight, then considered the possibility that she didn't want to cause any more of a scene with one of Phoenix Drop's allies.

***

You frantically shoved the entrance door to Anagram Inn open. Aaron rested at the bottom of the stairs, Garroth in front of him.

Your knight recognized the urgency in your facial expression. "____, what's wrong?"

"It's Katelyn. She's in the dungeon."

"What? What happened?" Garroth dropped his conversation with Aaron, fishing for something in his backpack on the ground. He grabbed a small brown pouch and tied it around his waist.

"She knocked out some creep," you explained, following Garroth towards the entryway.

"Sounds like Katelyn," Garroth raised his eyebrows casually and tilted his head to the side dismissively. "Aaron!" he shouted, "Can you tell Dante that I'm heading out to the cells? Thanks!" he added preemptively.

***

You followed Garroth down a lopsided, uneven patched stone stairway with hazardously jutting slabs, where an underground portion of cells lied beneath. Garroth swiftly scanned across each cell, his sights landing on his unmissable and unmistakeable target. As soon as Garroth found the blue-haired girl, he calmly approached the guard in charge of her holding cell and nodded towards Katelyn. "How much to bail her out?"