Ch 87: Endless Woe, To and Fro

Chapter Eighty-Seven: Endless Woe, To and Fro
________________

Urrggg, why had you kept the ring on your left-hand? You most certainly were not engaged.

"I, uh, sure, yeah," flabbergasted, you spoke in fragments.

Your mother smiled so widely at Garroth that you were concerned for the well-being of her cheek bones—they could quite possibly get stuck. Then she cast a loving glance in your direction. "From the way that he looks at you, I just knew."

Poor Garroth looked like he was about to choke on an ice cube in his drink, scrunching his shoulders and quickly removing the cup from his mouth.

      Oblivious to Garroth's shock, she exclaimed, "Wow!" She took your hand, examining the ring. "It's so," she gulped, her voice instinctively raising higher to mask her disappointment, "quaint . . . A bit odd, don't you think?" Her watermelon-shaped smile remained.

You pulled your hand back protectively. "It's perfect and I love it," you defended. It was meaningful. Kind of silly, though. You didn't even know the dude's name.

     It didn't take long for her to move on to her next victim: Garroth. The moment you saw her swooping in, you pulled Garroth away by the arm. "That was a lot of excitement, so I think we should sit down now."

"Wasn't it?" Your mom sighed dreamily.

***

The windows were pitch black and cold to the touch, an opal mystery. You knew undoubtedly that there was a dusty cliff just outside of that window, but you couldn't see it even if you squinted. You refrained from leaning on the window, and instead propped your head up on your palm to face the living room. Sleek, neutral-toned lamp shades illuminated the living area and kitchen, reflecting off of the rustic wooden furniture. The children had all disappeared by now, along with their mothers who had taken them home.

"You two should head off to bed. I can only imagine your exhaustion after so much traveling." Your mother ushered down the hallway. "Come on, I'll show you guys to your room."

You tentatively followed your mom. Behind her back, you pointed between yourself and Garroth, trying to wordlessly communicate to him that you were unsure of what would happen next. He looked equally as pensive, shrugging his shoulders at you.

She opened the last door at the end of the hallway slowly, peaking in to the black room before leaning to the side and flicking a light on. "There you guys are," she smiled sweetly before turning on her heels the opposite way.

The room had a throwbackish-feel: pale pastel wallpaper and large dressers taking up a lot of the area. The air had a stiff quality to it, like the room had been untouched for at least a decade. The mattress on the queen-sized bed appeared crisp, not a wrinkle to be seen in the knit blankets that had been strewn sideways over the comforter.

"There's only one . . ." Garroth trailed off.

"Yeah," you agreed with the level of discomfort he was feeling.

"I can sleep on the couch," Garroth stated, setting his suitcase down on the floor at the end of the bed.

"My mom would wonder why you were in the living room and not in here," you rationalized, managing to keep your voice low enough so that no other specific occupants would hear.

"Then I can sleep on the ground," he figured.

"No, you won't. I will," you countered.