Ch 43: Hiding Behind A Mask

*quality control: hasn't been rewritten*
________

The dark lighting set the mood. "I'm here for a disguise," I told The Boss, hoping she'd catch on.

"And what do you expect me to do about that?" she drawled.

"I was hoping you still had my old helmet. I need to visit O'khasis, and--" I attempted at explaining.

"Save the story. I never wanted to learn about your life when you were a regular here, nor do I want to now. I can negotiate with you though." The Boss started walking, so I sped up to keep her pace. "You know your money has little value to me, but give me information and I'll see what I can do." The Boss looked so mysterious, her Raven blue hair almost blending in with the black background.

I knew just what would satisfy her. "Zane destroyed Phoenix Drop, then disappeared in a shattered amulet."

"Your brother? How peculiar." The Boss's lips curled into a mischievous smile.

The word brother hit me like a blow to the stomach. Oomph, I could've sworn the wind knocked out of me.

"Your information is sufficient. I'll fetch Amber and see what she can do," The Boss stated as if my old friend Amber was a dog.

***

I'd earned a few creepy glares from some thieves before Amber showed up. "So it's true." She paused. "Garroth." The voice came from a different direction this time. Amber popped out of the shadows, but my startle reflex with her long since disabled.

"It's been a while," she said, tossing me an old helmet. "How come you never came back?"

"I never wanted to be a thief. I was only working with you to fake my death. No hard feelings." I slipped the helmet over my head.

"We don't have to talk about it. Weird to see you like this again. Almost makes me feel something . . . nostalgic? Reminiscent? Nah . . ." Amber whipped her blonde ponytail around and disappeared into the shadows.

Second Person:

"—so my foot's totally stuck in there, right? I'm freaking out, the dog's having a seizure and I still got half a pie left."

The whole group laughed at Katelyn's story.

"Ah, those were the good old days. My dad and brothers are awesome," she continued. "I didn't realize how much I've missed them." Katelyn sighed. "There was another time—" Katelyn stopped talking and looked far off. "I think Garroth's back, but it's hard to tell if that's him. Could be anyone with a big bulky hunk of metal on his face."

You looked over your shoulder. The old Garroth approached, concealed by a helmet that didn't match his armor. You missed his face already. What in O'khasis was so dangerous that only he would need a helmet?

"I think our group is ready to head to O'khasis now. I'll tell Lord Aphmau so she can organize everyone else."

Garroth's POV:

The slits in my helm obscured my vision. How I did I manage to go out like this before?

Lord Aphmau took one look at me and frowned. I almost felt like a disappointment to her.

"Garroth, I see you've found the solution to your problem. Where'd you get that old thing?" Lord Aphmau asked. I couldn't tell her.

"A merchant...'s shop. On one of the street corners."

"That's convenient. It's about time for us to take our leave now. Get ready to head into O'khasis."

Second Person:

O'khasis was just next door to Nahakra. So far, it had been the shortest distance you'd had to walk. Any more long journeys like this and your legs would snap off from the aching.

The powerful village wasn't much bigger than Scaleswind, but there was a difference. The architecture was grander, and more formal. A port on the bay housed an armada of ships with flowing blue sails.

The guards on gate duty seemed as ditzy as ever.

You followed Garroth's lead until he put an arm back to stop the groups from walking any further. Everyone hid behind the thick trees of the sacred forest. "Remember what happened in Metelli? There's no way O'khasis is going to just 'let us in.'" Garroth said. "We're going to enter by threes and twos, trying not to act suspicious about it. These pairs will all enter at different times from different gates, so hopefully we can all get through."

"____ and Aaron. You're related, so there'll be less question about you two entering together. You'll be going in second, after Lord Aphmau, Kawaii~Chan, and Zoey. They'll be waiting on the other side for you guys." Garroth said. You and Aaron nodded your heads.

You looked in the direction of the gate, where the three girls walked along the gravel pathway towards O'khasis.

Kawaii~Chan wore a faded pink hood, just wrapped around her head enough to cover her ears. She reached down in discomfort to where her tail would normally be sticking out, but it was tucked into her pants and shirt. Meif'wa's weren't allowed in O'khasis.

It was harder to tell that Kawaii~Chan was a Meif'wa the further away she got. The girls stopped at the gate and began talking. You were at too great of a distance to hear their voices. All seemed to go well because the gate lifted and the girls entered.

You waited for about five minutes. "Now's your time." Garroth paired up new partners while you walked away with Aaron.

About a quarter of the way down the path, Aaron leaned in close to you. "Stay quiet. They'll get suspicious if the girl is doing more talking." Aaron whispered.

You understood that your purpose was for more than making babies, but it ground your gears to know that O'khasis probably thought otherwise. You would comply because the plan depended on it.

When you and Aaron approached the gates, one of the guards sat on the ground with a dandelion in his hand, gazing into the sky. "That cloud looks like spaghetti," he pointed out.

Aaron tapped his shoulder. "Excuse me, we're seeking entrance to O'khasis."

"Oh, you are? Why do you wanna?" He asked, redirecting his gaze from the clouds to your big brother.

"To visit relatives." Aaron's cover story was so good, even you had a hard time believing that wasn't the truth. It was so simple.

"Okaaaay." The guard lifted himself off the ground and motioned for the guy manning the gate to pull the chain.

Aaron nodded his head at the guard. "Thank you."

Lord Aphmau, Kawaii~Chan, and Zoey were just across the road, waving for your attention.

"There they are." You pointed out for Aaron.

Once welcomed by Lord Aphmau's, she turned to you. "And now we wait."