Ch 28: A Good Deed

—isn't the worst quality chapter but will probably be rewritten in a change of events—

You enjoyed the scenery of the village, but couldn't go at a pace that allowed you to fully take it in. The bounce in your step was unmistakable as it carried you further and further down the path. It was quiet out, except for the soft singsong medley of birds in the background and gravel crunching under your fast-paced steps. Wind brushed lightly onto your body, the sky still grey, and the pathways dotted with small puddles.

You surveyed Lord Aphmau's house on the hilltop, where it overlooked the entire village. You stopped at your destination, where you found Malachi and Levin playing on the playground. Levin had on a light grey raincoat for splashing in puddles with, and was making good use of it. Malachi wore a traditional yellow coat, accompanied by small rubber boots with cartoon ducks on the sides. Zoey watched them, but stopped for a second to give you a friendly wave. You waved back, then faced the Lord's purple house. The door clicked from the other side, and it swung open, revealing the exact person you came looking for.

"Hey. Is everything okay?" Lord Aphmau leaned against the door frame.

". . . Not exactly. I've got a housing dilemma."

"Oh yeah, how's the progress coming along?" she asked expressly, resting her hand on the doorknob.

"Not very well. Everything is drenched, mildewy, and in the process of rotting," you filled her in, looking more downcast than the clouds outside.

"Oh my--from the rain last night? How'd it get in?"

"There's a hole in the roof, I guess."

The Lord's eyes widened in surprised before she sighed and shook her head, patting out the wrinkles in her clothes. "Ah, I'm so sorry. You're always welcome to stay here. Although . . .  I'm sure a certain someone wouldn't mind keeping a closer eye on you." She flashed a suggestive smile, nudging your side.

You sputtered in the middle of her porch, still riding your high.

"It's your choice. Regardless, I'll get a hold of the construction workers and make your house their number one priority right now."

***

You turned around and headed to the docks, searching for something to collect. You were intent on finding something in return for staying in your Lord's home. Which is where you chose to sleep, since you didn't want to be the kind of girl who over-stayed her welcome at a guy's place. Even though you definitely wanted to.

After thinking about it for a long time, you decided you'd bring the lord some flowers. You could buy a vase in the plaza and collect the flowers yourself. The only problem was getting the money to actually buy a vase.

Aaron. You could borrow money from him. He's your brother, of course he would lend you some money. You propped yourself up and searched the side of the hill. You found a patch of soft, white flowers with large petals. They didn't seem poisonous, so you made a mental note of where they were so that you could come back later. Now that you knew where the flowers were, you just needed to find Aaron. You cut through the small oak forest and tried to remember where Aaron's camp was set up.

You found him sitting by the fire with his eyes closed. It was the perfect opportunity to scare him. You slowly crept up behind him and grabbed his shoulders. "Boo!"

He jolted and turned around without a peep. "Oh, ____ it's you."

"You didn't want to greet your favorite little sister with a bit more excitement?" You sighed and sat down next to him where you picked at a handful of grass. "You're probably not going to like what I want to ask you . . . "

"What's up?"

"I was wondering if I could borrow some money."

"Is that right?" Aaron asked, enthusiastically.

"Let me explain! I want to buy a vase to put flowers in. My house is flooded, so I'm staying in Lord Aphmau's during the repairs. I don't have any money, so I was hoping you would help." You nudged him in the side with your elbow a few times, adding an "Eh?"

"I'm not gonna give you any money," he answered flatly, without hesitation.

Your heart sank. "I know, you don't have to . . . But I would pay you back!"

"I already have a vase. You can have it." Aaron got up and looked through a large backpack that had been hidden behind a rolled up sleeping bag.

"You have a spare vase, just lying around?"

"It was Lily's. I held onto it because it survived the destruction of our village." Aaron pulled out a slender vase that had neatly painted, intricate flower designs plastered onto it.

"You're sure?" You held the vase in your hands.

Aaron smiled at the memory of her. "She hand-painted it herself. I want you to give it to Lord Aphmau. It'll make her happy," he finished, though you weren't exactly sure whose happiness he was referring to.

"Thank you Aaron. I already found the flowers that I want to put in them. Wanna see the ones I like?" You clutched the vase tightly to your chest.

"Yeah. I'll come." Aaron pushed himself up and followed you to the place you had just been before.

The flowers were still there, their petals a delicate white and moist with morning dew over fresh rainfall.

Aaron gazed at the grove with a wide smile. "Those are Lillies of The Valley. They were her favorite."

***

Aaron rested back at his camp in solitude, so you let him be, hiding the vase behind your back as you walked the way to your temporary room.

When you made it outside of the Lord's house, you stood in front of the playground where Levin and Malachi were still playing, which caught Zoey's attention. "Lord Aphmau told me that you were staying in her guest room. You can let yourself in since she's not home right now," she said.

You nodded and opened the front door to step inside. You took the vase out from behind your back and placed it in the middle of the dining room table. You couldn't wait for Lord Aphmau to get back so you could show her what you'd done.

***

The door cracked open and Lord Aphmau stepped inside.

"Hey ____. I told the guys, and they got right to work on your house." There was a long pause while Lord Aphmau greeted her dogs.

"I know you said you didn't need anything, but I had to get something." You motioned to the table.

"They're lovely! Thank you, ____. I really appreciate it. That vase is gorgeous! I've never seen anything like it before." She said as she gawked at the flowers.

"There's a neat story behind it. I'll let Aaron tell it to you, though. I think he'd want to be the one to." You held your hands behind your back.

"I'll ask him about it as soon as I can. For now, I've gotta go wash up." Lord Aphmau walked up the stairs.

You looked at the basement stairs and decided to check out the guest room. You walked into the drab smooth stone basement and entered the guest bedroom. It was spacious and homey. You could get used to it. In fact, you were going to have to get used to it.