Ch 39: New Companion

Garroth stared down Travis's extended arm coldly, not taking it. "There's going to be some terms to your release."

"Aw, man. That's no fun." Travis shrugged. "Figures my freedom would be at your disgression." The white-haired man clasped his hands together dreamily and winked fearlessly at the fully-armored knight. "I'm yours for the taking, baby cakes." Travis limped his wrist playfully.

"It's Sir Garroth," your knight corrected, rolling his eyes. "Enjoy bending your wrists while it lasts, because you'll be in cuffs when we get back."

"Cuffs?" Travis twirled the shaggy locks in front of his ear. "Garroth~" he drew out suggestively. "Is that a threat or a promise?"

Garroth shook his head, not entertaining the matter further.

Like locks could contain him, you thought . . . You wondered if this new guy ever used his sleight of hand for pick-pocketing. Or maybe he generally only used it to harass women. Either way, you dug your hands into your pockets to prevent his from potentially wandering there.

Garroth abruptly turned to you, lowering his voice. "____, we don't have anywhere to keep him right now. I really am trying to find a good reason not to give him back, but frankly, he isn't providing any."

You dwelled on Garroth's words guiltily before momentarily dismissing his suggestion, turning to Travis to investigate if you regretted being his advocate. "Why didn't you get yourself out earlier?"

"I'm no rule-breaker . . ." he trailed off innocently, letting you hang on his silence in disbelief. "Besides, it's difficult to distract the guards for long enough," Travis fessed, smirking, then stepped around Garroth to fully take in your body for what seemed like the first time. "Who's this hottie?"

Garroth gritted his teeth, flexing his jaw. "Watch your tongue or the deal is off," he shot out coldly, switching his protective gaze on you to an icy one at Travis.

"What?" Travis just now seemed to be registering the disapproval. "Trust me, girls like being complimented." He paused to examine Garroth's possessive hold on your forearm. "Ohhh, I see the problem now."

"You'll stop hitting on random women, then?" Garroth asked, unimpressed. You blushed because you'd interpreted Travis's understanding a lot differently than Garroth did.
Nonetheless, your knight used his grip on your forearm to distance you further from the white-haired creep. He squinted his eyes at Travis. "Don't try to touch any one. Got it?"

Travis raised his hands in submission. "Got it."

***

While making your way back to the inn with Garroth's grip fastened around your arm, it could've fooled onlookers into thinking you were the prisoner. He glanced downwards to where his hand held on, surprise in himself registering across his features as he released his hold. It would make more sense if he restrained the threat and not the victim.

"Explain yourself," Garroth prompted, turning to Travis.

"Fair enough." Travis shrugged. "It all started the moment I set foot in this town," he explained, motioning with his arms.

"Hey, hands where I can see them," Garroth scolded.

Travis stuck his hands in the air. "I won't do anything, I promise. My motives aren't what you think they are."