Chapter Eleven

"UNO!" Luke yells at the top of his lungs.

"You little sh-" im interuppted by Ryan's death stare. "Sorry." I whisper under my breath. Luke gawks in laughter making me roll my eyes.

"You suck at this game." He says with a smirk.

"You suck at life."

"That's why I'm here." He looks down with sorrow in his eyes. I immediately feel guilty. I forgot where we were, my rude humor does not belong here.

"Im-uh I'm sorry luke."

"Gotcha." He looks up and laughs, my first instinct is to slap him on his arm.

"Ow!"

"I'm strong for a girl."

"Yeah I see." He looks down with an unrecognizable look.

"What is it?" I ask.

"What is what?" He says confused

"I don't know. Your deamenor kind of changed. I can feel it." I've always been really good at sensing peoples feelings. When I first meet people, I usually like them at first. But there's those few people who I don't like from the beginning. Those people always end up doing something that proves why I didn't like them in the first place. Call me psychic, I don't know. I can just tell.

"Just wondering when I'm getting out this place. I don't think I'm ready for the real world yet. This place is such an escape. I guess its the routine we have everyday, kind of takes my mind off everything." He nods his head a couple times and I just can't resist asking.

"Why are you here?" I ask.

"Uhm."

"If you don't mind, that is." I interrupt.

"No Its fine. My family has always been in this business together. Let's just say this business isn't exactly friendly. I've known about it since I was 12, I accidentally found out. Anyways, they've done some pretty fucked up shit. I walked in on one of those things. Completely lost my shit. Tried to kill myself. The usual." He chuckles and I can tell it's nothing but an attempt to lighten his situation. I try not to to think about what Luke walked into, or what the family business was about. I have watched to many movies and read to many books. My mind was running wild.

"So uh, why are you here?" He asks.

"Beat the shit out of my mom. Got sent here instead of jail by a nice lady. Awaiting my so called "charges"." I lift my fingers making air quotation marks. He chuckles.

"Interesting." He says.

"OK guys it's almost time for bed. Any last minute phone calls will be taken now." Ryan yells from the nurse's station. "Oh and time for snack." A few people get up at that.

"Oh and meds!" Ryan yells. At that everyone gets up. Med time is everyone's favorite time here. I hear a phone ring at the nurse's station.

"Melanie? Left phone." I sigh. I reach the phone and hold it up to my ear.

"Yes?" I say almost rudely.

"Hey cranky." The familiar voice causes my insides to turn. The way they shouldn't.

"Joseph." I say sternly.

"That tone though." He chuckles. I practically melt.

"Any news?" I ask.

"Well your mom is ok. She got her nose fixed and a couple stitches. The lawyer I got for you is calling on self defense. We have proof of your moms alcoholism and violent behavior while drunk. Your mother's record is also a win for you. This case should be fast and you should be out of there in no time. I give it about a week till trial." He says and I sigh in relief.

"We also found a bunch of files from children and youth from..." He trails off.

"From?" I remember my mom being a terrible mother but no one ever called child protective services on us.

"The first one was when you were five. Apparently, someone saw your mom drop you off at your grand mothers. Which also happened to be the house of a registered sex offender. Robert? Some how, your mom thought it was a great idea." He states angrily. I'm almost in shock, but none if this surprises me. I know about my step grandfather but never knew I was left alone with him. Did something happen that day?

"None of that suprises me."

"Melanie. I never knew your life was so fucked up. I'm sorry you had to live-"

"Please Joseph. I don't need pity. What I need is support not someone who feels sorry for me. You understand don't you?"

"Your right." He whispers.

"I have to go. Med time." I hang up trying to recall any memories of that asshole. I was only five there has to be some way I can remember that day.

AUTHORS NOTE

I've been slacking but I had no phone it was broken. Updates will be regular now. Thanks to all who continue to read for the rush of it. I'm already working on a sequel. It won't have the same characters as this one but it will be a dramatic story like this one. Again I'm so sorry I don't update often but I'm trying. I'm joining the army so I have a lot going on right now. Thanks for almost 500 views! Also I did change something in this chapter in particular so please reread this one!