Chapter 30- The Dusk Run

Chapter  30

The Dusk Run

Teagan

*

Tonight is a special night for our pack. It's the annual pack Dusk Run. What's that? Well, every six months or so, the whole pack, that is 17 and above, go on a long distance run with the pack to the coastline and around the big forest in between. It's seven hours if by car, but to wolf it's about four. The tradition was made up about a hundred years ago, but I guess it stuck. It's sort of a vacation for some one the adults. To let their wolves free and stretch before they have to be responsible adults again. We leave our best fighters back at the pack just in case we are attacked. Many people look forward to it, but me? I was dreading it. It's my first year and also for Carrie, Luke and my brothers. The bad thing? My wolf. 

The thing about werewolf culture is that you aren't supposed to shift in front of the opposite gender of someone who is in your pack that isn't your mate. It's like wolf abstinence. That's one of the reasons why Luke never recognized my wolf when I first met him, though I recognized him because he was Alpha. But I'm not sure if Luke even knew it was me or even made the connection. If you haven't noticed, he's sort of a dumbass.

Also, another thing about the run is that the males and females that aren't mates are seperated and into age groups too. So that means I'm stuck with Carrie and her followers. Just great, just flippin' great. 

*

"Ok! Everyone follow the rules," Alpha Walters looked pointedly at us, the teenage girls, though it was mostly at me, then continued,"and be courteous to your fellow pack members." I heard some girls from our group snort and snicker. I rolled my eyes and looked around at our separate run groups. 

The pack was split into at least 6 different groups of different genders and ages. In the female group, there was the high school girls--AKA my group--then there was ages from 20-30, 31-40, 41-60, 61 and up. And the guys were the same way. Mates met up after the groups headed out separately and they could speak through their minds, but the mate-less couldn't, so that got me worried about Luke and I..

But I pushed that thought from my mind. We all met up after we shifted and started the run. Mates ran sort of seperately from the pack but still ran with us. It's all so complicated, even I don't get it. I mean, couldn't people just tell them who they were after we shifted back..? It's just doesn't make any sense!

Percy, Nate, and Luke, even Alex were in the same group. Sadly, River couldn't make the run because he is sick from the chicken-pox which he, stupidly, didn't get a shot for. That just made it less bearable as seeing my best friend couldn't be here. Luckily my mom was coming, seeing as it was my first run. Ever since daddy died, she didn't go on runs because she said it made her remember dad.

But I tried not to be my normal pessimistic self, but it was hard with at least 30 teen drama queens glaring at me or Carrie. Though mostly me because most of those girls were Carrie's bitches. 

"Now boys, follow me and shift." The Alpha ordered and the guys headed out. Then the Alpha Female--Luke's mom--said the same thing and we followed her to the other side of the forest. As we walked to the forest, I saw Luke's mom eyeing me carefully. I wondered if she knew like my mom and the longer it took to walk to the shifting spot, the more she was looking at me, which confirmed my suspicions. Just great, I hope Luke's dad doesn't know or we are both screwed.

All the other girls were chatting excitingly while I just walked in silence. That was until Carrie fell into step with me, smirking as if she knew something I didn't. I watched her with caution as she just kept smirking. Ok, this chick is fricking scary. I started to walk slower but she stayed at pace with me. Soon the girls were almost out of earshot, when Carrie stopped me.