two

Edited

Light

In the fast lane, living life without knowing.

Ridley's Pov-

Rays of white light. That's what I wake up to. I had died.

When you're younger, you imagine Heaven as walking on clouds and seeing your pet turtle that 'ran away'. Hopefully, Heaven isn't just this irritating, blinding glow.

If I were to talk, would I get a response? Or is Heaven just as lonely as Hell?

Well, that was teenage me speaking. I can assure you that heaven and hell both exist, and Heaven is no annoyance. Heaven is different for everyone, depending on the circumstances of your demise. 

Take Elvis Presley, for instance. He died of a heart attack. I did not. He is not in my Heaven. Understand? I guess not. It's a complicated topic. 

Anyway, I can tell you that my Heaven is beautiful. I am incredibly grateful for that. After a difficult life, it's nice having an easy death.

Is this Heaven? Am I dead?

"No you're not dead sweetie. You're in the hospital," a feminine voice said.

Are you my conscience?

"No, Ridley. I'm your nurse and you're talking out loud." 

Okay, so maybe I didn't die after the attack. Thank you, God! What kind of story would this be if I died in the first chapter? Not a good one. 

I opened my eyes fully. The haze of garish, hospital lighting caused my eyes to ache and blur. A few blinks later, I was able to see clearly that this was definitely no Heaven.

No Heaven would allow me to lay atop of a thin mattress and listen to constant, aggravating beeping. Drifting my eyes around the room, I come across the voice I had heard. Scott's mom. Nurse Melissa McCall.

"Oh hey, Ms. M!" I said the best I could. My voice was rockier than expected. To a stranger, it would seem as though I smoked a few packs-a-day. I coughed. 

"Hey, honey. How are you feeling?" Ms. McCall has always been the kind type. Even when her husband left, she still remained as positive as she could for her son, but I think we all new it had taken a toll on her. She was selfless enough to prevent her suffering from flowing into her workplace and son. 

"Um, fine I guess." 

I was simply confused. How the hell did I get here? 

"Are you sure? That mountain lion hurt you pretty bad. You lost a lot of blood. You also have a concussion and a sprain in your ankle," she looked at me with caution.

"Really? I feel fine." I seriously did feel fine. Other than a thought tapping at my brain, telling me that it was no mountain lion.

It wasn't.