Chapter 25: Erebor

Tauriels POV

"...you cannot hunt 30 Orcs on your own." He sighed angrily.

"But I'm not on my own." I retorted, my fists clenched.

"You knew I would come. The king is angry Tauriel. For 600 years...my father has protected you, favored you. You defied his orders. You betrayed his trust." He growled at me.

"The king has never let Orc filth... roam our lands. Yet he would let this Orc pack cross our borders and kill our prisoners It is not our fight." He sighed sadly, looking at me with his big eyes.

"It is our fight. It will not end here. With every victory, this evil will grow. If your father has his way, we will do nothing.
We will hide within our walls...live our lives away from the light...and let darkness descend. Are we not part of this world? Tell me, Mellon. When did we let evil
become stronger than us?"

Meanwhile

Thorins POV

"What is this place?" Bilbo stared at the ruins in awe

"It was once the city of Dale. Now it is a ruin. The desolation of Smaug." Balin wandered beside us.

"The sun will soon reach midday. We must find the hidden door into the mountain before it sets. This way."  Bilbo grabbed me by the arm.

"Wait. Is this the overlook? Gandalf said to meet him here. On no account were we to..." I pulled away from him.

"Do you see him? We have no time to wait upon the Wizard. We're on our own. Come!"

Later

Bilbos POV

"If the map is true...then the hidden door lies directly above us." Thorin stared at the map, looking everywhere. I walked along the dirty mountain side before noticing something.

"Up here!" Thorin sprinted over to me, smiling widely.

"You have keen eyes, Master Baggins."

Later

"This must be it. The hidden door. Let all those who doubted us...rue this day!" Thorins voice echoed through the mountainside.

"Right, then. We have a key. Which means that somewhere...there is a key-hole. The last light of Durin's Day...will shine upon...the key-hole." Everybody started to knock on the mountain, trying to find the keyhole.

"We're losing the light. Come on." Thorin growled at us all. Everybody sighed and started to walk away from the wall.

"I can't find it."

"It's not here!"

"It's not here!"

"Break it down!" Thorin screamed at us! Everybody started to attack the wall with their weapons. I sighed deeply.

"It's no good. The door's sealed. Can't be opened by force." Thorin grunted in annoyance.

"The last light of Durin's Day...
...will shine upon the key-hole. That is what it says. What did we miss?
Balin?" We all stood there, utterly baffled. Suddenly everything went dark as the last light faded from the sky and plunged us into nighttime.

"We've lost the light. There's no more to be done. We had but...one chance." Thorin turned round and started walking away.

"Come away, lads. It's over." Everybody turned round and started to walked away until they we all out of view.

"Wait a minute! You can't give up now Thorin! You can't give up now." I started to pace back and forth.
"Stand by the gray stone... when the thrush knocks. The setting sun. And the last light of Durin's Day will shine.." Out of nowhere a sudden ray of moonlight lit a single point in a flash of white.

"The key-hole! Come back! It's the light of the moon! The last moon of autumn! Ha, ha, ha!" I scrambled round, searching for the key to the keyhole.

"Where's the key? Where's the key?
Where's the--?"
I heard a clang as metal stubbed my feet.
I turned round in time to see a heavy foot stop the key from falling. Thorin strode forward, the key shaking in his hand. He slid the key gently into the keyhole, turning it ever so slowly. There was a unexpected shudder of stone as the door opened with a shake.

"Erebor." He whispered so quietly that almost no one could hear him.

"I know these walls. These halls. This stone. You remember it Balin. Chambers filled with golden light." Thorin smiled widely.

"I remember."

"Herein lies the Seventh Kingdom of Durin's Folk. May the Heart of the Mountain
unite all Dwarves in defense of this home."

--------------------------------------------

Hello everyone 😊 how are you all doing?
The image above is what Ulaalsia would normally wear on the journey (credit to artist).

I also want to say thank you all so much for reading my story. I have almost got 10k reads and it's all thanks to you wonderful people! Every time you read my stories or vote on a chapter you bring a smile to my face. 🌟

I will post a new chapter soon.

Farewell 🌟