Chapter 10: Rivendell

Three days later

Ulaalsias POV

I woke to the sound of elves bustling around me. "The wound is healing nicely. I'll replace the bandages." When I fully opened my eyes I saw several female elves all staring at me.
"Well hello. You've been sleeping a long time my dear. How are you feeling?" A young blonde haired elf smiled at me. She looked a lot younger than the other ears in the room. I sat up and felt no pain in my leg or arm. I lifted myself up off the bed. I feel fine. "Here eat this. You haven't eaten in a while." She handed me this bowl full of a cloudy liquid. I took a sip and I felt even better. I drunk the entire bowl and smiled. "We have brought clothes for you seeing as the ones you wore were a little...torn."

She chuckled at me. She brought me a wash bowl and a towel. I washed my sled, being happy to get free of the dirt and blood but being careful not to soak the new bandages. When I dried masked off I saw they had left a dress for me. It was beautiful. I slipped it on and it fitted me perfectly. I combed my hair out so it flowed past my shoulders. I didn't find any shoes so I left the room barefooted. I walked out of my room and followed the sound of voices. I reached a large open area where i found the dwarves and my uncle except for Thorin , eating and speaking together. I watched Dori trying to feed Ori a piece of lettuce.
"Hey. Come on. Try it. Just a mouthful."

"I don't like green food. Have they got any chips?"

I chuckled to myself before walking out into the open. They all stopped and stared at me. "You're alive!" Kili jumped up and hugged me, swinging me around with him. Kili ran forward and hugged me too.
"You had us worried you now!" They both sat down "So how long as I out?" I asked as I sat down between Balin and Bofur. "Three days lass. You were as white as a sheet. We were all worried for you." Balin looked at me with a happy smile on his face. I smiled at everyone. "I'm glad you all care about me."

Thorins POV

"This is Orcrist, the Goblin-cleaver. A famous blade...forged by the High Elves of the West, my kin. May it serve you well. And this is Glamdring...the Foehammer. Sword of the King of Gondolin. These were made for the Goblin Wars of the First Age. How did you come by these?"
I watched as Elrond picked up the sword we had found and examined them.

"We found them in a Troll-hoard on the Great East Road...shortly before we were ambushed by Orcs." Gandalf answered. I am not happy sharing my personal business with elves.

"And what were you doing on the Great East Road?" He looked straight at me.

"Our business is no concern of Elves." I snapped back at him. I know he has done us no harm but I do not trust elves of any kind.

Suddenly Ulaalsia came running in smiling. "Gandalf! Thorin!" He smiled at her. "Ulaalsia my dear. I happy to see you are awake and healthy again." I noticed she was wearing a white dress that made her looked...beautiful. She glanced and me and bared her teeth in wide grin before staring the elf. He smiled kindly at her. . "It's kind of you to invite us for dinner my lord." He nodded at me. "You're are very welcome Miss Baggins. Why don't you and join your company? I'll get someone to bring you dinner." She nodded before running to join the company.

"For goodness sake, Thorin, show him the map." Gandalf sighed at me

"It is the legacy of my people. It is mine to protect, as are its secrets."

He sighed at me again.

"Save me from the stubbornness of Dwarves. Your pride will be your downfall. You stand in the presence of one of the few in Middle-earth... who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond." I hesitantly handed him the map. He studied it for several minutes

"What is your interest in this map?" He looked curiously at me then back to the map

"It's mainly academic." We state red walking to a large waterfall that was in full view if the moon.

"As you know, this sort of artefact sometimes contains hidden text."

"You still read ancient Dwarvish, do you not?

"Of course. An easy thing to miss. Well, in this case, that is true.
Moon runes can only be read by the light of a moon... of the same shape and season
as the day on which they were written." I started to get conceded.

"Can you read them?" Hopefully he could read them

"These runes were written on a Midsummer's Eve...by the light of a crescent moon
nearly 200 years ago. It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield. The same moon shines upon us tonight." I watched as blue lettering started to slow appear on the map.
"Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks...and the setting sun with the last light
of Durin's Day...will shine upon the keyhole."

I suddenly realised something. "This is ill news. Summer is passing. Durin's Day will soon be upon us. We still have time. To find the entrance. We have to be standing in exactly the right spot at exactly the right time. Then, and only then, can the door be opened."

Ulaalsias POV

I watched as Thorin came striding in after his talk with Gandalf and Elrond. And he didn't seem to happy about it. I decided to leave him alone and eat my dinner. I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder. I twisted my head to see Lindir behind me. "My lord Elrond wishes to speaking to you." I followed to tall elf, having to jog to keep up with him. He led me to a open area that had full view of the rivers leading away from Rivendell. It was beautiful. I saw that Lord Elrond was pacing about something Gandalf was watching him from a stone table before turning to me.
"Ulaalsia my dear. It's lovely for you to join us. Please sit down." They both looked concerned about something.

"Ulaalsia...do you know what you are?" Elrond leant on the table staring straight at me. I nodded my head. "Yes my lord. I am a hobbit. A hobbit from the Shire." He looked at Gandalf then back to me. "Ulaalsia...I have something important to tell you. You are...not a hobbit."
I can't believe what I was hearing. I shook my head at him. "But I am! My mother and father were hobbits and I am one. Ere must be some misunderstanding. If I'm not a hobbit what am I?"

"It is not me you must ask that to. But I have someone who will answer your questions." He lead me out to a different room. There I saw a beautiful female elf, with hair as golden as stars, her eyes full of wisdom. She smiled kindly at me. I watched as Lord elrond bowed to her. I curtseyed to her.

"My lord ...what do I owe the pleasure? And who is this?"

"Ulaalsia Baggins. Ulaalsia I am happy to introduced a dear friend of mine... Lady Galadriel."

Authors note

Hey guys! Hope you are enjoying the story so far! The dress pictured above is what Ulaalsia was given by the elves. It's very beautiful. So Ulaalsia isn't a hobbit! I have an idea what she is but I want to see what you guys think. Should she be:

A) part elf/part dwarf

B) part dwarf/part race of man

C) mix of all three [(part elf/part dwarf/part human) I'll explain how this would work later]

Or D) part elf/part man

So tell me what you guys think she could be. If you have your own ideas please suggest them. I am happy to hear all thoughts.

Peace out pizza slices ✌️✌️