Chapter 23: Laketown

Tauriels POV

"Such is the nature of evil. Out there in...the vast ignorance of the world...
...it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black...as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was. So will it always be. In time, all foul things come forth. You were tracking a company of 13 Dwarves. Why?" I gazed at the Orc who growled deeply.

"Not 13. Not anymore. The young one...the black-haired archer...we stuck him with a Morgul shaft. The poison's in his blood. He'll be...choking on it soon." I suddenly tore a knife out of my boot and squeezed against the orcs throat.

"Answer the question, filth." I heard a timid chuckle from behind me.

"I would not antagonize her." I heard a young male voice behind me.

"You like killing things, Orc? You like death? Then let me give it to you." I raised my knife up high. Out of nowhere a strong hand grabbed my wrist.

"Wait!" I turned to see the tall elven king glancing down at the lowly filth that was kneeling on the floor.

"I do not care about one...dead Dwarf. Answer the question. You have nothing to fear. Tell us...what you know and I will set you free. You had orders to kill them. Why? What is Thorin Oakenshield to you? The Dwarf runt will never be king.
King!" The words flowed from his mouth like the winding rivers of the land.

"There is no King Under the Mountain, nor will there ever be. None would dare enter Erebor... whilst the dragon lives. You know nothing. Your world will burn." The Orc growled loudly.

"What are you talking about? Speak!" I grabbed his neck with both of my hands.

"Our time has come again. My master serves the One. Do you understand now, Elf ling? Death is upon you. The flames of war...are upon you." I released my hands from around his neck. Suddenly there was a quick swish and a thud of a head against solid stone.

"Why did you do that? You promised to set him free." I heard Legolas from behind me.

"And I did. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders." The elven king whipped his dagger back inside of his boot before starting to walk away.

"There was more...the Orc could tell us."

"There was nothing more he could tell me."

"What did he mean by "the flames of war?"

"It means they intend to unleash a weapon so great...it will destroy all before it. I want the watch doubled at our borders. All roads, all rivers. Nothing moves, but I hear of it. No one enters this kingdom. And no one leaves it."

A little later

Ulaalsias POV

"Watch out! What are you trying...to do, drown us?" Thorin growled at Bard.

"I was born and bred on these waters,
Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you...I would not do it here."

"Oh, I've had enough of this lippy Lakeman. I say we throw him over the side and be done with it." Thorin growled to everyone else.

"Bard, his name's Bard." I stared straight at him, folding my arms at him.

"How do you know?"

"Uh, I asked him."

"I don't care what he calls himself. I don't like him."