Chapter 7: Rainy days going worse

Ulaalsias POV

We woke up early the next morning to set off. I was already awake so I got ready fast and was onto the ponies quickly. I shared with Bofur for a change who I found out was great fun to chat too. He asked me about my life and I explained how I had spent all my life in the shire and never went on any adventures. He told about his life, how he likes to travel here and there.

We travelled on for what seemed like hours before out Of nowhere the rain started. It started off with a light drizzle but it went into masses and masses of rain. I was soon soaked to the skin as was everyone else. Dori yelled to Gandalf "Here, Mr. Gandalf, can't you do something about this deluge?!" I heard Gandalf sigh from beside us.
"It is raining, Master Dwarf...and it will continue to rain until the rain is done. If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another Wizard."

"Are there any?" I questioned him.
He pondered for a couple of minutes before answering me. "There are five of us. The greatest of our order is Saruman the White. Then there are the two Blue Wizards...Do you know, I've quite forgotten their names.
I realised he only mentioned three wizards . "And who is the fifth?" He pondered again before answering me. "Well, that would be Radagast the Brown."

My uncle who also had been listening to the conversation asked Gandalf "Is he a great Wizard? Or is he more like you?" I was shocked at how rude my uncle was to Gandalf. But he didn't seem to notice. "I think he's a very great Wizard, in his own way. He's a gentle soul who prefers the company of animals to others. He keeps a watchful eye over the vast forest lands...to the east. And a good thing too. For always evil will look to find
a foothold in this world." We travelled for many more hours until we finally stopped at a burned down house. The wood of the house was black and covered in ash.

"We'll camp here for the night. Fili, Kili, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them." Thorin said as he started to dismount his pony. Bofur got off first before helping me down. I stared as Gandalf moved carefully towards the house, his face full of sadness and wonder. "A farmer and his family used to live here." He whispered to me. I was curious to what happened to the family but I didn't question him. I turned and saw Thorin continue to give out orders to member of the company. "Oin, Gloin. Get a fire going."

Gandalf strode over to Thorin still looking worried.
"I think it would be wiser to move on. We could make for the Hidden Valley." He suggested this kindly but by the look on Thorins face I could tell we weren't going anywhere.
"I have told you already...I will not go near that place."

"Why not? The Elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice."
I knew this argument was going to end in disaster.

"I do not need their advice." Thorin retorted back to Gandalf as if he were some small child.

"We have a map that we cannot read. Lord Elrond could help us." Gandalf again suggested something that everyone else thought useful. But nothing was going to change Thorins mind.

"Help? A dragon attacks Erebor. What help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria...desecrate our sacred halls. The Elves looked on and did nothing. And you ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather. Who betrayed my father. "

Gandalfs face suddenly turned dark. "I did not give you that map and key for you to hold onto the past." And he stormed away.

"Gandalf, where are you going?" I shouted to him as he walked faster away from the camp.

"To seek the company of the only one around here who's got any sense."

" And who's that?"

" Myself, Ms. Baggins." He shouted before he disappeared form our vision.

We all waited for him to come back but he didn't. I heard Dwalin sigh from behind us.
"Come on, Bombur, we're hungry."

Bilbos POV

"Is he coming back? He's been a long time." I was starting to worry about Gandalf.

"He's a Wizard. He does as he chooses. Here, do us a favor. Take this to the lads." Bofur handed me two big bowls of stew before smacking bomburs hand away.
I walked to where Fili and Kili were keeping a watch on the ponies. I handed them their bowls but I saw something was troubling them. "What's the matter?"

"We're supposed to be looking after the ponies. Only we've encountered a slight problem. We had 16.Now there's 14." Kili replied. We all panicked and we all went round counting the ponies. All three of us counted 14.
"Daisy and Bungo are missing.And that is not good at all." Fili placed his hands on his hips thinking about what to do.
"Shouldn't we tell Thorin?" I questioned but he shook his head.
"Uh, no. Let's not worry him.As our official burglar, we thought you might like to look into it." I stared at him with confusion and worry.

"Well, uh...Look, something big uprooted these trees. It's something very big
and possibly quite dangerous." I was about to continue but Fili stopped me.
"Hey. There's a light. Over here. Stay down."

"What is it?" I heard several loud thumps and the air started to smell foul.

"Trolls."
We hid behind two thick trees as we watched a large troll stride pass us carrying two of our ponies

"I think they're gonna eat them. We have to do something." I pointed this out hoping that the dwarves would go rescue the ponies instead of me.
"Yes, you should. Mountain Trolls are slow and stupid, and you're so small, they'll never see you. It's perfectly safe. We'll be behind you. If you run into trouble, hoot twice like a barn owl and once like a brown owl. Twice like a barn owl. I was suddenly pushed into the opening without any idea what was going on.

"No, twice like a brown... Once like a... Like a... Are you sure this is a good idea?" I turned round only to see that they were gone. I moved closer towards the light only to find not one, but three trolls.
I ducked down when I heard one staring to speak.

"Mutton yesterday, mutton today...and, blimey, if it don't look like mutton again tomorrow."

"Quit your griping. These ain't sheep. These is fresh nags." The troll carrying the ponies retorted to a smaller troll who was clearly the chef. The smallest to the tree grunted in disapproval n
"Oh! I don't like horse. I never have. Not enough fat on them. Well, it's better than leathery old farmer. All skin and bone, he was. I'm still picking bits of him out of me teeth." The three of them started arguing between them about pointless thing. This kept them distracted while I tried to release the ponies. But the rope was too thick. I spotted a long blade on one of the trolls and I silently tried to sneak it off of him. Suddenly I was lifted up into the air and sneezed on by the smallest troll who screamed at the sight of me.
"It's got arms and legs and everything."

"What is it?"

"I don't know. But I don't like the way it wriggles around." He dropped me on the hard ground and I quickly stood up.

"What are you, then? An oversized squirrel?" He tallest and possibly the fattest out of the three questioned me.

"I'm a burglar... Uh, Hobbit."

"A burglar Hobbit?"

"Can we cook him?"

"We can try." They came toward me licking their lips. I knew I was in deep trouble.