6 -We Sing

As soon as I stepped into the house I was meant with a pleasant surprise. Everyone was dancing and laughing and yelling from the top of their lungs. It was something I wasn't used to.

Nate yelled something to me but i couldn't hear him from the loud music. Someone suddenly bumped into me scaring me. I quickly lunged myself onto Nate so I wouldn't get lost. He turn around to me a smile on his face.

Why was he so happy?

Everyone seemed to have their eyes on Nate. He did say a lot of his friends would be here. So this was what it was like having friends? Interesting.

    We started to make our way upstairs. It was a lot more quieter than downstairs so I think I would spend a lot of my time up here while Nate was with his friends.

"You can go now," I told him. When I knew what I'd be doing for the rest of the night.

"What?" He asked, scrunching his face up in confusion.

"Aren't you going to hang with your friends?" I asked him getting confused as well.

"Yeah but I'm taking you with me."

"But..." I said reluctantly. I didn't want to upset him. I knew how people acted when they were mad. It was a horrible thing and I always tried with all my power to never make anyone angry. Though with my parents I always found it a challenge.

"You can tell me Bea...trice," he told me looking me straight in the eyes.

  "It's just that...why would you make me hang around the people you left me for in the first place?" As soon as the words left my mouth I regretted them.

  Nate looked at me guilt spilling out of his eyes. "I apologize for my words!" I said quickly hanging my head down in shame. Nate didn't mean anything he did to me over the years. He left me for a good reason. Maybe someone had died in the family or something. It couldn't possibly have been because he wanted to become popular or something. I feel so bad. I'm such an idiot.

  "You don't have to apologize. This isn't the Giver," he said quietly but loud enough for me to hear him over the loud music that was downstairs.

  I snickered to myself. "That was a funny joke."

  "So you like jokes about books?" He questioned as we walked to a door near the end of a hallway. I shook my head in response.

  "Man you're such a nerd," he said jokingly.

  He suddenly opened the door revealing a group of kids inside. "Come on," he said pulling me inside.

  The kids in here must've been his friends. The girls dressed...in a way my mothers would have called disgraceful but I wasn't one to judge.

  "Hey guys!" Nate announced everyone greeted him with a grin until they saw he came in with someone else: me.

  "Who's the hottie?" Who I think was Justin asked drinking something from a can. A group of boys began to yell and holler when he said that. My eyes widened in shock.

  Why was everyone paying attention to me. That's not how it was suppose to be. Mom and dad always said to lay low. I would be in so much trouble when I got back home.

  "Everyone I'm pretty sure you all know her. This is Beatrice," Nate said smiling at me. I just looked at him in a emotionless manner not knowing exactly what to say or do.

  Justin suddenly spit out the beverage he was drinking. "Wow Beatrice. You clean up nicely," Justin said his eyes going up and down my body. I suddenly cowered behind Nate not appreciating the stares I was receiving.